Alveopora frag bleaching?

Mattie H.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if this is goniopora or alveopora, but it is clearly bleaching. It has been in the tank about a month and a half. About two ago it closed up and was closed for a little longer than a week. It has started to open up again now, but it has lost most of it's color. What can I do to save it?

I've attached before and after pics.

Thanks!
59e831511065820fa35569dbbe799ef9.jpg
ab597f508465c4463619870743f06ee8.jpg

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your test results for NO3 and PO4?

Looks like a pretty new tank with totally bare rock – no algae growth. Frag is probably starving.

On top of this, could also be light shock if you're not using a light meter of some kind to assess your lights and the lights where he was being grown before.

Low nutrients make corals more susceptible to this kind of light shock.

OP
OP
Mattie H.

Mattie H.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looks like a pretty new tank with totally bare rock – no algae growth. Frag is probably starving.

On top of this, could also be light shock if you're not using a light meter of some kind to assess your lights and the lights where he was being grown before.

It's not that new - about 14 months, stable and established. Not a whole lot of algae growth, but enough to keep five Mex turbos and a bunch of ceriths happy and healthy. No other coral issues in the tank. This frag is still pretty low in the tank position-wise; I gradually raised it from the bottom to where it is now. It's currently probably about 15 inches below the water surface, and my T5s hang about four inches above. The frag has less light exposure now than it had at the lfs, for sure. I don't have a light meter so I don't know the par. I do have low nutrients, however. No NO3, trace PO4 per Hanna checker. Not enough nutrients to keep chaeto alive, but at least enough to keep my anthelia growing.

I'm not sure what made this alveo bleach - I've never had coral bleach before. Anyone's guess. I am more interested in what I can do to nurse the frag back to health, if it isn't already a goner... I usually feed once a week. Would feeding more help? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Mattie H.

Mattie H.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If it is light shock, will moving it to the sand bed help to save it?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lowering it's light exposure could help.

How's your tank's nitrate and phosphate situation?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bingo. Too low on both counts.

Are you using any "artificial" nutrient reduction strategies like carbon dosing (pellets, vodka, etc) or GFO or special bio-media? Etc?

OP
OP
Mattie H.

Mattie H.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bingo. Too low on both counts.

Are you using any "artificial" nutrient reduction strategies like carbon dosing (pellets, vodka, etc) or GFO or special bio-media? Etc?
No dosing. On and off I run a brs dual reactor with a small amount of carbon and the prescribed amount of GFO per brs website. Without the GFO, I get hair algae blooms from excess PO4 and my SPS goes downhill. NO3 is always 0, with or without the reactor.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without the GFO, I get hair algae blooms from excess PO4 and my SPS goes downhill. NO3 is always 0, with or without the reactor.

You have the cause/effect out of order. :) SPS aren't going to care about a little nutrients, but they will get irritated if you're starving them. They can get really really irritated when that starvation involves phosphate.

Definitely cease with the GFO usage and try a different tack.

When you see nitrates in your system have have run out, stop thinking:
"SUCCESS!! ;Shamefullyembarrased;Shamefullyembarrased;Shamefullyembarrased"
...and start thinking...
";Nailbiting;Nailbiting;Nailbiting How will anything use up my phosphates without nitrogen to go along with it?;Nailbiting;Nailbiting;Nailbiting"

Go get your Seachem Flourish Nitrogen or Brightwell NeoNitro (or DIY) and maintain a minimum level of available nitrogen.

When you see algae growing, stop thinking:
";Nailbiting;Nailbiting;Nailbiting Plague!!!! Burn it alllllllll!!!! ;Nailbiting;Nailbiting;Nailbiting"

...and start thinking...
";Shamefullyembarrased;Shamefullyembarrased;Shamefullyembarrased More snails!!! ;Shamefullyembarrased;Shamefullyembarrased;Shamefullyembarrased"

:)

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back