Am I at the max?

RahulaBond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150 gallon tank and I’m unsure how to go about knowing when the tank is at it’s max for fish. I’m still new to saltwater and know salt and tropical are two entirely dif worlds.

currently in the tank I have

2 PJ cardinals
2 Kaudern Cardinals
Frostbite (?) clown pair
1 Sailfin Tang
1 yellow Tang
3 firefish
1 diamond watchman goby
1 aiptasia eating filefish
1 male lyretail anthias
1 blue headed fairy wrasse

Clean up Crew consists of various snails, assorted hermits, 2 brittle starfish and 1 cleaner shrimp.

Added 10 Nudibranchs on Thurs to hopefully help with my aiptasia outbreak that came with the tank when it was given to me.

video was filmed during feeding which is why there’s specks floating around everywhere. Normally tank is clear.

Attachments

• IMG_0781.MOV
    50.2 MB

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You will get a lot of different suggestions and opinions.

Mine is you could add.

What you could add is another question hahahah

You could look at angel fish or butterfly or rabbit. There are so many.

Adding 1 or 2 of those depending on species i don't think would be a load problem.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150 gallon tank and I’m unsure how to go about knowing when the tank is at it’s max for fish. I’m still new to saltwater and know salt and tropical are two entirely dif worlds.

currently in the tank I have

2 PJ cardinals
2 Kaudern Cardinals
Frostbite (?) clown pair
1 Sailfin Tang
1 yellow Tang
3 firefish
1 diamond watchman goby
1 aiptasia eating filefish
1 male lyretail anthias
1 blue headed fairy wrasse

Clean up Crew consists of various snails, assorted hermits, 2 brittle starfish and 1 cleaner shrimp.

Added 10 Nudibranchs on Thurs to hopefully help with my aiptasia outbreak that came with the tank when it was given to me.

video was filmed during feeding which is why there’s specks floating around everywhere. Normally tank is clear.

IMO, you are stocked very similarly to my 160g tank, which is a good amount for me as I do not want to have a massive about of manual husbandry.

If it were me, I’d hold off adding

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have many more fish than that in around 180 gallons but you need to make sure your nutrient export can cope with the high bio load and also the fish you have ‘get on’

i have a massive bio load but equally massive nutrient removal methods in place with a combination of mechanical and biological methods

OP
OP
RahulaBond

RahulaBond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your maintenance schedule, filtration methods, etc?

the tank was an established tank that was given to me approximately a month ago I’m still learning the names of all the equipment that runs the tank. I’ll include pics of the set up

right now I’m working on clearing up the aiptasia that has over run the tank and just added 10 Nudibranchs lastThursday and already noticing a difference.

haven’t done any water changes yet because I didn’t want to crash the system after moving it from one house to another and during that move there was about a 40% water change done and no fatalities.

B409B9AE-5538-41EE-A326-D8CEA0F5E1BC.jpeg 31927943-8028-438B-81C2-3874846BC442.jpeg 72667CFC-623E-44A5-B510-62D009FE327D.jpeg

OP
OP
RahulaBond

RahulaBond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have many more fish than that in around 180 gallons but you need to make sure your nutrient export can cope with the high bio load and also the fish you have ‘get on’

i have a massive bio load but equally massive nutrient removal methods in place with a combination of mechanical and biological methods

thank you, I work from home so maintenance isn’t an issue for me as I enjoy doing it I just wasn’t sure how much would be considered to crowded for saltwater where tanks I’ve had before this one have been freshwater which I’ve learned is saltwater is it’s own ball field lol

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking setup!

Hope those nudis work out for you. I just added four. Hoping for the best, but they didn't bother with the aptasia I placed them next to and just retreated into the rock. No opinion on if you can add more. If you do, might be prudent to wait a month or so until you're settled in with the tank.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back