An important decision to be made at the Hawaiian State Capitol today.

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow!! Following! This could have major implications for our hobby.

mav3rick478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a waste of political pageantry and paper.

It would have been more meaningful to ban underwater snowballs and open flames beneath the oceans surface.
How is this stupid, have you seen how decimated the natural livestock numbers are. This is a measure to temporary allow the reefs to repopulate. It's actually a great idea.

When I used to live there and worked at one of the bigger local shops that was a supplier to shops everywhere it would amaze me how many yellow tangs, flame angels, butterflies, etc. He would catch and ship out on top of selling to the locals.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
We've lost enough bodies of water and regions and the impact on availability and pricing can hurt this industry. Were not talking about what we can get but the impact on collectors, wholesalers, retailers and shipping, tarrifs which affects availability and acquisition
The populations of fish and coral will get a sense of restoration but limited ability to collect

OP
OP
Elder1945

Elder1945

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bill 931 Passed in the Hawaiian State Capitol on February 13th, 2019 - BUT more importantly; it passed WITH Amendments. It is of our opinion that these amendments strike a balance between those that opposed the Bill and those that encouraged the Bill. These amendments emphasized the EXCLUSION of using fine meshed nets for collection; this moratorium continues until June 30th, 2021. In the meantime; an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) will continue to be completed impartially by the University of Hawai'i. Concentration of this study will emphasize West Hawai'i, Hawai'i Island, and the Island of Oahu. Part of this EIS will include a comprehensive Cultural Impact Statement (ie. as it pertains to Kanaka Maoli values, progress, etc.) An updated progress report will be presented at the opening of the 2020 legislature." Note, this is one Bill out of others that may impact this industry.

I huge thanks to The Coral Reef Shop for sharing this info with me!
(Twitter@CoralReefShop)

Last edited:

Dan D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maverik since u dont live her now u cant place an informed ,local, west hawaii recent opinion now can you? The west side of the island is doing extremely well, the recruitment of local reef drops of yellows and other normally collected reef fish Kona side has blossomed seriously . There are shoals of yellows ,koles etc heavy on all the healthy reefs.

There are miles of reef south of Kona toward Milolii that are all dead in shallow from the hot sea water. But the reefs unaffected are very healthy. Probably more so since 2 yrs ago the DLNR rulled to stop all scuba spearfishing in west Hawaii. Now there are yellows and koles 8 in long easy. Lots of them and that means more juveniles for recruitment . More fish on the reef ,more to sustainably harvest once the industry is able restart very sustainably..

It can and has been done,

Value the Aina, treat it with respect, like u would your Kapuna(elders).
Malama the ocean and all her creatures.
Pic. Cc,ct
Kona
Aloha

Whale Shark1.jpg

mav3rick478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maverik since u dont live her now u cant place an informed ,local, west hawaii recent opinion now can you? The west side of the island is doing extremely well, the recruitment of local reef drops of yellows and other normally collected reef fish Kona side has blossomed seriously . There are shoals of yellows ,koles etc heavy on all the healthy reefs.

There are miles of reef south of Kona toward Milolii that are all dead in shallow from the hot sea water. But the reefs unaffected are very healthy. Probably more so since 2 yrs ago the DLNR rulled to stop all scuba spearfishing in west Hawaii. Now there are yellows and koles 8 in long easy. Lots of them and that means more juveniles for recruitment . More fish on the reef ,more to sustainably harvest once the industry is able restart very sustainably..

It can and has been done,

Value the Aina, treat it with respect, like u would your Kapuna(elders).
Malama the ocean and all her creatures.
Pic. Cc,ct
Kona
Aloha

Whale Shark1.jpg
No you are correct but I can only talk about what I witnessed growing up there and how it was the last time I visited which was a couple years ago. I even asked my good friend about it after I typed my response and yes certain areas are ok now but the reefs are not what they used to be, he said groups are even going out and planting corals to try and bring it back. He says Kaneohe is horrible and so is Haunama (which I did visit last time and it was sad that you had to go far out to really see any fish). He told me they are introducing Harlequin Shrimps to combat the over abundance of star fish that are eating corals. Hopefully that goes better than the introduction of mongoose to the islands. My wife still likes to calls me haoli but whatever because I may be from NY but spent the majority of my life on Oahu so I've seen the differences of a healthy ecosystem vs a bad one. So I'm all for the ban if it brings all of the reefs around the islands back to what they used to be.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No you are correct but I can only talk about what I witnessed growing up there and how it was the last time I visited which was a couple years ago. I even asked my good friend about it after I typed my response and yes certain areas are ok now but the reefs are not what they used to be, he said groups are even going out and planting corals to try and bring it back. He says Kaneohe is horrible and so is Haunama (which I did visit last time and it was sad that you had to go far out to really see any fish). He told me they are introducing Harlequin Shrimps to combat the over abundance of star fish that are eating corals. Hopefully that goes better than the introduction of mongoose to the islands. My wife still likes to calls me haoli but whatever because I may be from NY but spent the majority of my life on Oahu so I've seen the differences of a healthy ecosystem vs a bad one. So I'm all for the ban if it brings all of the reefs around the islands back to what they used to be.
With all due respect I don't think anyone is against bringing back reefs around the islands. I just think a lot of us here are against banning the collection of aquarium fish which according to numerous studies does not affect the reef. There are many issues affecting coral reefs across the globe that deserve everyone's attention.

Peter Clark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a great video from MACNA on this topic:
It really shows this ban was not based on any science but instead went against what the experts were saying and was instead based on a misinformation campaign. Very embarrassed to say I had bought stuff at Snorkel Bob's before (prescription dive mask for my wife), not knowing the guy was into spreading false information.

Dan D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey maverick and crew, its not a ban on trop fishing, read the bill.

https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session2019/bills/SB931_.HTM

This is a recap of what dlnr did 2 yrs ago when snorkel bob and rene umberger sued hi state dlnr to make them do a es or eas. The court found a eis was needed. The eis is now on hold due to new statutes revised,comming down the pike soon. This bill addresses that fact, reinforces that the eis will be done and all phases of the eis will be enforced, cultural, biological economic etc, these are very spelled out in the new
343 final which is on its way to the govenor to sign.

U have to watch Sen Kahele very closely as he has tried thru his spot on the Hawaii congress to put forth many bills to kill science, kill the Thirty meter Telescope, etc. Not like his Father at all he was a Senator for the people. This guys mostly for himself first. 1.5 yrs as a state Senator and hes goin for Sen Gabbards job. No experience,just as an officer in the military. Scary.

Plenty fish still here in all the islands. The corals are a different matter tho. Lets hope Sen Case and Sen Gabbard can put together a good bill to finance the recorilization of Florida and Hawaii.
Lets all help.
Aloha

20190206_093206.jpg

Saveafish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:(:(:(I lived in Kaneohe for over 6yrs. This is not the problem. Its the run off from the golf course. Its the oil still leaching from WWII wreckage. Its the thousands of gallons of suntan lotions washed off the howlies. Its the money maker of the islanders. The money turns the checks. Easy to blam other things. If other things are blamed, more Outrigger motels are built, more money comes in with the suntan oils. Haunama Bay use to be so beautiful so magnificent, but from all the oils of hundreds of thousands of people. Its killing corals. But they make hundreds of millions off it. Sososo sad. :(

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back