Anemone like growth in live rock identification

dabroli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea what these are, live rock is from Florida, they are randomly appearing everywhere. They start clear and some are taking on this red/pink tone

BC844B9C-234A-4DFC-978D-B22F1BB3E1B9.jpeg 515325D2-0F49-4D55-BA66-B5EDE37A3F90.jpeg 112AFEF7-CA97-43F2-B315-6D52B7CAA6F3.jpeg

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I can tell from your pics, I had these for years. They're like micro carpet anemones. They reproduce through division and they can display some stunning colors if kept in very blue light (mine showed purple, orange, and green). They never get larger than about a nickel at best, but most are closer to dime-sized. They rarely seemed to harm my corals. I assume due to the low profile.

In white light they're underwhelming. Here's an old pic showing a bunch on a rock in white light (not the rock flower sitting to the right of the red blasto):

20170523_194916.jpg

Please excuse the hawkfish photobomb.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea what these are, live rock is from Florida, they are randomly appearing everywhere. They start clear and some are taking on this red/pink tone

BC844B9C-234A-4DFC-978D-B22F1BB3E1B9.jpeg 515325D2-0F49-4D55-BA66-B5EDE37A3F90.jpeg 112AFEF7-CA97-43F2-B315-6D52B7CAA6F3.jpeg
Also possibly ball “anemones” (Pseudocorynactis caribbeorum) or a similar coral. These are common hitchhikers that are generally benign and multiply much more slowly than Aiptasia

OP
OP
dabroli

dabroli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I can tell from your pics, I had these for years. They're like micro carpet anemones. They reproduce through division and they can display some stunning colors if kept in very blue light (mine showed purple, orange, and green). They never get larger than about a nickel at best, but most are closer to dime-sized. They rarely seemed to harm my corals. I assume due to the low profile.

In white light they're underwhelming. Here's an old pic showing a bunch on a rock in white light (not the rock flower sitting to the right of the red blasto):

20170523_194916.jpg

Please excuse the hawkfish photobomb.
These are exactly the same as mine! I get the greens/orange/purple as well. Appreciate the response!

OP
OP
dabroli

dabroli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also possibly ball “anemones” (Pseudocorynactis caribbeorum) or a similar coral. These are common hitchhikers that are generally benign and multiply much more slowly than Aiptasia
After googling ball anemones, the larger one’s absolutely look similar. I quite like them, they provide variety

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After googling ball anemones, the larger one’s absolutely look similar. I quite like them, they provide variety

I could be wrong, but I think these are more of a carpet variety. I have plenty of ball anemones in another tank and they have some short tentacles, whereas the carpets don't seem to have any that extend past the disc. Also the carpets go for spots with light while the ball anemones favor dark.

These are way cooler IMO!

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be wrong, but I think these are more of a carpet variety. I have plenty of ball anemones in another tank and they have some short tentacles, whereas the carpets don't seem to have any that extend past the disc. Also the carpets go for spots with light while the ball anemones favor dark.
As mentioned above, OP might have a Corallimorph related to Pseudocorynactis caribbeorum, such as a species in the Corynactis genus:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/71/Anemones_off_Santa_Cruzl,_CINMS.jpg
I think I can see a few white, club-like tentacles on OP’s polyps that extend past their bases.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 67 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back