Angel Eye Favia, Babies Breath, and the like...

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where do you guys have them? for some reason, mine has lost it's color.. maybe I need to move it up higher? I didn't pay much attention to it for the past few months... it's growing really well but only the newer polyps/heads have decent color on them as you can see from the pic... current light combo is:

Current T5 light combo, from back to front...
- ATI Blue + (normal)
- KZ Fiji Purple (overdriven)
- 22k AquaScience (overdriven)
- ATI Actinic 03 (overdriven)
- ATI Blue + (overdriven)
- 22k AquaScience (normal)

pic of Junior... we pretty much have the same lighting but his has colors... LoLz...
1AngelEyes.jpg

my colony as of last night... mine used to look like the pic above when they were under 150w Radiums... (3" discs)
02-25-10Favia.jpg

Nanofins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dunno...I keep mine towards the bottom of my 75 under 6 54w T-5's. I actually have the main colony partially under a rocky outcropping, so it's somewhat shaded, and the colors are yummy. I usually err on the side of lower light for the favias with all the delicate colors. It looks to me like the polyps on the sides are getting less direct light and are colored up better than on top. Could be the spectrum of bulbs you're using, or them adjusting(?).

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try shading them... how long do you guys think before she colors back up?

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some "favias" are similar to chalices in that the growth edge shows more colors, however I've seen the BB/BBBLOB/etc. show colors throughout a colony before.

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some "favias" are similar to chalices in that the growth edge shows more colors, however I've seen the BB/BBBLOB/etc. show colors throughout a colony before.
I think Todd (Cherry Corals) just changed the name of the Angel Eyes to BBBLOB... so I know I have a nice looking favia... I just hope I get the colors back... :wink:

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that "type" of favia. Mine is glued to the left side of my left most pillar in my tank, so basically shaded, indirect light from 250W DE MH 14K Phoenix. Color has held and even gotten better.

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had mine in my frag tank, mid way up on the middle shelf. Bumped it up on top of a big uns and this is what happened.
IMG_0626.jpg

Favia1-1.jpg

gumby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a piece of angel eye the day before yesterday and from what Im reading I got to put it lower in my tanks thanks Im gonna do that right now!

ReeferBen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put my BB at the bottom of my 24" deep tank under a 12 x 54 watt T5 hood and it lost its color over time. I just recently moved it up to see if I could get it to color back up.

Tanked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got mine so not sure where to put it but I wanted to show my little guy off too.:) Awesome favia thats for sure! I am interested though how to keep the colors.

DSC01620.jpg

90sShooter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME they need good lighting but not TOO MUCH. In real low low light they don't seem so briliant and in high light they will bleach out. Put them somewhere and see how they like it and then adjust from there. They are very hardy and you won't lose them because of lighting.

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I brought them out a little more... seems like I just didn't take a good enough pic... the pink and the yellow'ish glitter is actually more pronounce than I thought... LoLz...

but thanks again for all the input... :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back