Annoying tough branching green algae ID needed

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this looks kinda like codium but branches and links together. It gets texture to the surface of it once out of the water it’s noticeable but it the water looks kinda fuzzy in a way. It grows from one spot and branches out and is very tough to pull off the rocks and impossible to get the root out of the rocks. It’s also large as you can see in it in my hand. I am guessing it came in on a mariculture plug from indo or on some Florida cultured rock maybe but either way I would love an id and any good suggestions to keep it at bay. It’s almost more annoying than my bubble algae and I have never seen this type of algae grow so fast and well in a reef tank so I have never had to deal with it. Sorry I can’t get any pictures of it in the tank but took some of it after I pulled it out this week. These pictures are of pieces of it, it clusters and grows from a small area outward like a thick bush.
Man it’s been a lonnnnggg while since I have posted an algae ID thread :)
73E0A189-80E0-40C8-8997-B0435EF1DEAA.jpeg

F2FAC38F-8C50-4B41-9600-FF657A2A62A9.jpeg

OP
OP
Graffiti Spot

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought so too just all the pics looked like they had long growth. Maybe I am not letting it grow big enough for it to look like that. It’s supposed to be an ornamental plant I see it for sale in a few places? I thought I read it was fragile, but I guess that’s one of the types, codium fragile. Nothings going to eat this stuff that I can imagine.

Last edited:

1ByLand2BySea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought so too just all the pics looked like they had long growth. Maybe I am not letting it grow big enough for it to look like that. It’s supposed to be an ornamental plant I see it for sale in a few places? I thought I read it was fragile, but I guess that’s one of the types, codium fragile. Nothings going to eat this stuff that I can imagine.
There are a pretty good Macro Algae unless you have a ton of them taking over your display tank. They do a good job in refugium as well. I find them pretty easy to remove once they get a bit bigger. Usually comes off the base.
I have not seen any fish that really eat them either.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like my codium but mine never grows roots or embeds itself in the rock. I have to wedge it in there or it just floats away and I have had it probably 7 years now and it has never attached itself to anything. I suppose there are several types of codium though.

OP
OP
Graffiti Spot

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are rooted in the rock like VERY VERY well. I use long tweezers and have to spin them to rip it out or else the rocks get picked up with the algae. Also it’s odd it’s not on any of my Florida rock. It’s only on older rock that must have had mariculture bases touching it in spots? I can’t imagine this stuff can spawn or whatever. It spread before I ever tried removing any of it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It IS codium

OP
OP
Graffiti Spot

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It IS codium

I would agree and looks like the short species of codium. But I can’t find ANY info on codium becoming a problem in reef tanks like this. I have read that it grows better in high light so it makes sense that it blew up once I switched from radium 250 bulbs to ushio 400w 14k. It is very dark so it’s getting a lot of light. I just want to know how it spread so much and how to keep it under control in any way other than manual removal.

OP
OP
Graffiti Spot

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I see 44 types of codium listed on google species list, I would appreciate anyone’s help that has experience with this stuff. All I can find is people looking for this stuff or trying to grow it and not even being able to get it attached to a rock... I am kind of amazed (in a scary way) at this point.

OP
OP
Graffiti Spot

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read some more and most want in for their displays and can’t end up keeping it. I am confused how it grows like a weed in my display, any experts on this stuff?

OP
OP
Graffiti Spot

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one really? I have never seen or heard of this stuff growing like this and honestly never heard of it before I looked it up. Would love to hear anyone’s experience good or bad. I am guessing it will be hard to nail down species wise since there are so many types of this stuff.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 43 61.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back