Another Aquarium Moving Thread - How to Beat the Hallway?!

LiquidSpace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife has given me to go ahead to get my dream aquarium…but it has to be in my office.

The aquqrium is an innovative marine 170, so I’m looking at 59" x 30" x 21.7". I originally wanted a 200 but I don’t think I can make that work because the layout of my house is in the way.

IMG_2535.jpeg

This is what I’m working with. A 4 ft hallway outside my office. I built a PVC model with the dimensions and no matter how I pivot it just won’t make it. I also don’t think a handcart is going to cut it for the space because the wall of the closet is right inside the door.

My thought is to use a furniture dolly and stand the aquarium up on its side so it goes through the door lengthwise up.

Is that going to cause any structural issues with the aquarium? I think I’m more worried about how heavy the aquarium is and how awkward it would be to lift it into place ONTO the cart.

I’m so close! I’d love to hear any experience.

BrokenReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when one door doesn’t open … “hey honey, we have to renovate the house so I can get this fish tank in my office like you asked. Love you .. smooches!!”

If you stand the tank up on end, make sure you add supports on the inside to keep the panels from bowing. Even if the tank is up in its side for a few minutes, jostling it around corners and hardwood to carpet, is going to be a lot of vertical stress on joints that weren’t intended for it.

That said, I had to do the same getting my tank in my basement. Stood it on end and then…. Well, I won’t divulge the ugly way I got it down the stairs. Let’s just say I am lucky to have friends as du, reckless as me.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My wife has given me to go ahead to get my dream aquarium…but it has to be in my office.

The aquqrium is an innovative marine 170, so I’m looking at 59" x 30" x 21.7". I originally wanted a 200 but I don’t think I can make that work because the layout of my house is in the way.

IMG_2535.jpeg

This is what I’m working with. A 4 ft hallway outside my office. I built a PVC model with the dimensions and no matter how I pivot it just won’t make it. I also don’t think a handcart is going to cut it for the space because the wall of the closet is right inside the door.

My thought is to use a furniture dolly and stand the aquarium up on its side so it goes through the door lengthwise up.

Is that going to cause any structural issues with the aquarium? I think I’m more worried about how heavy the aquarium is and how awkward it would be to lift it into place ONTO the cart.

I’m so close! I’d love to hear any experience.
Ive done that with No issues. Just go slowly thru opening

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I once moved a 6’ 175 gallon bow front up six flights of stairs to a 4th floor apartment. We had to hang half of it over the railings to make the turns on the stairs. No issues at all. I would think it would be doable with the proper support, just go slow with it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back