Another Question for you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

The advice you've given us so far has been spot-on, and the changes we've made as a result of your feedback have been super successful and well-received! Thank you so much!

Another question, if we may: On our site, we have divided subcategories for 'Corals" into subcategories such as "MISC LPS", "SPS", "CHALICES", "SCOLYMIA", "SOFT CORALS AND MUSHROOMS", etc.

Would it make more sense and be a better shopping experience for you to have more specific subcategories, such as "ACROPORA", "MONTIPORA", "FUNGIA", "FAVIA", etc.? Or, does it get to a point where it is too much clutter? As you know from our previous discussions, we put a great deal of thought into our website design and aesthetic, and did want to keep it as minimalist as possible for a cleanand relaxed shopping experience. However, we are constantly trying to tweak to refine and improve your website experience, and would love to hear your thoughts on this matter.

In the mean time, one tab you should check on is our "NEW" tab! We have some awesome stuff up from last night, and we're adding at least 20 or so more killer pieces today, possibly including some of these:

IMG_8850.jpg

"Raptor's Peace" Favia (Seriously...who comes up with these names! Urgh!)

IMG_8878.jpg

Maricultured Acros (I believe this one is an abrotanoides, if I'm not mistaken)

IMG_8883.jpg

Everyone's favorite Clove Polyps!

_DSC8974Purpleplume.jpg

"Purple Plume" Eco-Gorg

IMG_8950.jpg

A cute little Gold Torch frag.

And of course, much more! We're adding new stuff every weekday, and I can't begin to tell you just how much cool stuff is coming in! We're doing our best to maximize variety, color, and provide super value, super quality for you!

Thanks again for your support...We'll be checking in later today!

Thanks!

Scott Fellman
Joseph Caparatta
Unique Corals

Spaceman Spliff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends how many pages I have to click through. If there are only 2 to 4 pages of corals, I don't mind them being mixed under a general category. If there are 5 or more pages of mixed corals, it gets to be too much and I start wishing they were subcategorized. I know your site lets you view more products per page but I always forget to use that and just click through the pages.

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me qualify my comment like this, I haven't purchased from you yet, but will when the time is right. I need to get my tank just a little more stable yet. I know you want and must attract new customers and many of them will be fairly new to reefing.

I think you are getting it. If the photos are so good they make me drual I will be back and you will sell coral, then it is up to the packaging and customer service.

So, what I am saying is, I like to window shop the corals, and I can't be alone. Make it as easy to window shop as possible and be organized for those searching specific life forms.

franklypre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been hawking the site for the last few days and would really appreciate the subdivision, and some more deepwater acros too. Other than that it looks great from what I see.

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott the corals are always great. The site is looking alot better with all the corals as of lately. The coral I received are still going strong and had doubled in size!

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do feel that the zoas are a weak point on the site. Most of the morphs on the site are PNG, which tbh look more like zoas that I can readily find at my LFS. There could be more collector looking varieties like other sponsors offer. I'm not saying already named and popular morphs like rastas, etc. But collector looking wild morphs, like the Enigmas that you guys had. Something that I can't find at my LFS readily, and has that "wow" factor that people would want and know came from you guys. That's my 2c, and something I hope you guys add. :)

Smnparish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do feel that the zoas are a weak point on the site. Most of the morphs on the site are PNG, which tbh look more like zoas that I can readily find at my LFS. There could be more collector looking varieties like other sponsors offer. I'm not saying already named and popular morphs like rastas, etc. But collector looking wild morphs, like the Enigmas that you guys had. Something that I can't find at my LFS readily, and has that "wow" factor that people would want and know came from you guys. That's my 2c, and something I hope you guys add. :)
+1, IMHO same can be said for chalices

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going just by the way i shop, i like to see every single item you have, so general coral categories with something like 100 items per page works for me (less clicking the better). Having item or product numbers that are searchable (or searching the name) allows me to find it again later.

I echo Buddy's statement on the desire to see more morphs on zoas, but I do also think you guys have great zoas at great pricing...the couple frags in my tank are some of my most colorful and easiest to grow. Definitely would like to see more unique morphs tho (wouldn't everybody?)!

montethemoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you could have the best of both worlds if you had a menu with sps, lps, softies etc... and you could click on that general category and all those corals would be shown, but if you hover the cursor over lps for example additional subcategories would pop out such as acans, chalices, etc. You would be able to click on lps for a broader selection, or click on a subcategory if you have a more specific coral type in mind.

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad someone else agrees with me!

Now that I think about it, TBH I think the biggest reason why I haven't bought anything from the site and something that I find unattractive is that... the online shop's selection... I can find practically all of it at a decent LFS.

I don't want to be paying for shipping and having to place an online order for corals that I can find readily at my LFS. I only go online to find pieces that are unique and "rare," things that I can't find at my LFS. Things that make shipping worthwhile. I really do think that the online portion of the site should be mostly to showcase the collector corals that your facility has to offer. I want that "wow" and drool factor (we really need a drool smiley on R2R btw) with the livestock every time I see an update from you guys. Located in socal, it's like the gold mine of cherries. The LFS' in the Bay Area drive to LA just to cherry pick! I want to see... unique corals (eh eh? see what I did there? lol!).

I hope that I didn't come off as "post up more ridiculously marked priced corals," but more unique frags and less everyday corals at an affordable price point. A great example is the new blueberry shortcake. It's definitely one of a kind with you guys, and the price point is great. Great prices and one of the best customer services and guarantees and you guys have yourself a killer store.

Last edited:

franklypre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
personally I don't have a LFS and there isn't a decent one for 175 miles, there could be more zoas and chalice but I like the pricing and really appreciate the fact you guys grow your own instead of leaning towards the overpriced market. Just wish I had a bigger tank.

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like what you guys are doing overall, I do however think that more high end, cherry picked, WOW factor pieces added to the site will increase your site traffic immensely...nowadays the online coral game is all about the next "gotta have" "killer piece" in corals, start bringing in those funky chalices and mind blowing z's and p's, acros and people will go nutz but at the same time continue the sustainable coral farming you guys are so amazingly doing as the backbone of your operation....people make a very good point about LFS stepping up there game and offering up more high end stuff to reefers where they don't have to buy online because they can score it right down the road from where they live...that WOW factor has to be the cornerstone to draw them in

Last edited:
OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the sub category, because most of the time I'm looking for high-end montipora.

I'm on the fence, becuase I think it will make searching easier for customers like you who know exactly what they're looking for. On the other hand, if we have too many subcategories, it could clutter the site and the careful aesthetic we have worked so hard to cultivate...ah the dilemma!

Thanks,

Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends how many pages I have to click through. If there are only 2 to 4 pages of corals, I don't mind them being mixed under a general category. If there are 5 or more pages of mixed corals, it gets to be too much and I start wishing they were subcategorized. I know your site lets you view more products per page but I always forget to use that and just click through the pages.

Excellent point! You can search in a variety of ways. I sometimes wonder if people like the convenience of simply pulling down a tab and going right to what they want, or if there is a certain pleasure or experience to be gained by searching. I suppose it depends on your mind frame, amount of time you have, etc. Sure, as a marketing person, I want customers to spend as much time on the site as possible. On the other hand, I want people to spend more time on the site because they WANT to, not because the search methods are balky and uncooperative.

Thanks for the feedback!

Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me qualify my comment like this, I haven't purchased from you yet, but will when the time is right. I need to get my tank just a little more stable yet. I know you want and must attract new customers and many of them will be fairly new to reefing.

I think you are getting it. If the photos are so good they make me drual I will be back and you will sell coral, then it is up to the packaging and customer service.

So, what I am saying is, I like to window shop the corals, and I can't be alone. Make it as easy to window shop as possible and be organized for those searching specific life forms.

Great points...and I hope we can make you drool! As I mentioned above, I'm all for more pull-down tabs for subcategories, as long as the aesthetic experience of the site is not compromised too much.

Thanks!

Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been hawking the site for the last few days and would really appreciate the subdivision, and some more deepwater acros too. Other than that it looks great from what I see.

Thanks for the feedback!

And yes, we'll be adding more deepwater Acros in the coming days and weeks...They seem to be gaining quite a following, and we really enjoy them ourselves!

Thanks,

Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott the corals are always great. The site is looking alot better with all the corals as of lately. The coral I received are still going strong and had doubled in size!

Yay! Glad to hear that your corals are doing so well! I have been a bit sheepish about it at first, but we've been around here long enough to dare start a "Show us how your UC frags are progressing...!" thread! Hmm...

Glad you're noticing the greater abundance of corals. We are evolving (rapidly) into a much more comprehensive coral site, and you'll see this progression manifest itself in the weeks to come. Another part of our differentiation strategy will become more evident soon....

Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Awesome, awesome point, Darwin! I have been feeling sort of the same about zoos. we we first started out in August, true PNG zoas were simply not available in the hobby, as the PNG government (and USFW) had serious restrictions on coral imports from PNG. It was only after a lot of work with the guys at Eco Aquariums PNG that we were able to get them into the U.S....A big deal in August, but, as you mention- old news now. A lot of the PNG morphs are variations on those from other locales...Some are quite different. Regardless, I , too believe that we need a bit more "pop" to our zoo and paly collection. You will be seeing this soon! One thing that I have noticed is that when we do put up the crazier stuff, it usually goes within hours after we put it live on the site...

We will probably always have some of the more readily available ones (i.e.; Eagle Eyes, Radioactives, etc.), but you'll see the results of propagation start to pay off soon as we release more unusual Zoas that you haven't seen much of before. And we do have some Rastas "cooking" in one of our raceways, by the way, and hope to offer them soon!

To summarize, I agree that we need to emphasize more unusual Zoas and Palys! Like so many other things that you guys and gals suggested- we've listened, and you'll see the results soon!

Thanks!

Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Again, thanks for the feedback! One thing I can say is that we have way more stuff than is on our site (as those of you who have visited our facility have seen). The problem is that not everything is ready to go at any given time. We have a LOT of crazy chalice morphs that I can assure you will not be found at many other places. The hard part is that, for the items we propagate- it simply takes time to get them market ready. When we obtain cool chalices from our propagators and other sources, we usually put them up right away.

One thing we just wont do is become a "chop shop". Often, you'll read about the crazy chalice at __________, see pics of the mother colony,and it's up for sale days later as frags. We absolutely will not offer "fresh cuts" of any coral, especially Chalices, on our site., even if it means missing out on some of the market hype and hysteria. Those of you who own frags of our Trop OD chalice can attest to that. It simply takes time to get a quality frag to market, and we won't compromise quality for our customers. "Classic" frags, like our Strawberry Shortcake Acro, are not always available on our website, simply because they take time to encrust, color up, and get healthy enough to release. And you know what? People seem all to happy to wait for the next release, as long as they get a quality product! Will we miss out on some easy $$ by not dumping fresh frags on the market when something is crazy trendy? Probably, but we are in it for the long haul, and know that people will be just as excited a year from now when they can pick up that insane chalice that everyone was paying $500 per inch for, at a much more realistic price point- and for a quality, healed frag that will live. We want to earn your loyalty, and we will do it with quality, selection, integrity, and value, coupled with a high level of service. That's the cornerstone of our business philosophy, and we'd liek to think that todays' savvy reefers will want to work with people who have their best interests at heart. Sure, we want to make a living doing this- but we want to do it the right way- and that sometimes means going against the grain a bit.

Whew- I'm really rambling! LOL Bottom line- We will be continuously adding new chalices; we love 'em- we know you do- and we'll do our best to keep variety and quality high!

Thanks,

Scott

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 146 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back