Another SCA 50 PNP Build

curiel909

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

Feels great to be back on the hobby, my last build (40 gallon) unfortunately was sold as i moved to a new place.

Well after almost a year, i purchased an SCA Aquarium 50 gallon PNP setup and have been running it for a little over a month now. I want to lean more towards having some coral, probably soft and sps. Currently I am running the SCA provided equipment with a few Hydor circulation pumps that is hooked up to a wave maker and an Amazon Aqua Knight light.

I currently just ordered a SICCE SYNCRA 3.0 714 GPH to upgrade the Akman 600 gph return pump. 1 because my return pump is LOUD and 2 more flow since i have hard plumbing. I also ordered the SICCE SK400 to replace the pump that comes with the SCA-301 protein skimmer since that pump is also very loud.

I plan on changing all my equipment to EcoTech within the next 6 months. For now, i would like some opinions on what i can do currently help with introducing some easy (beginner) coral.

In the DT i have a pair of perculas, 2 damsels, scarlet cleaner shrimp, snails, hermits and urchin. I did introduce a bubble tip anemone, xenia, leather coral, and a zoa frag and they all seem to be doing great.

Water does seem to be a bit cloudy but nothing too crazy. Can i add carbon to the sump to help it clear up? Attached are some images of the sump setup i have but i feel like i am missing something. I probably just need someone to tell me on the right track (hopefully lol) . I've been doing a lot of reading and watching a lot of videos. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

IMG_8817.jpg IMG_8818.jpg IMG_8833.jpg IMG_8834.jpg IMG_8835.jpg IMG_8836.jpg IMG_8838.jpg IMG_8839.jpg IMG_8840.jpg IMG_8844.jpg

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your system looks great.
You can absolutely add a bag of carbon to a high flow area of the sump or use a reactor.
As far as easy corals, if your softies are doing well, you might try a hardy, inexpensive SPS like stylophora or montipora digitata in a high flow high light area.

You know, you have some really good info in this thread. You may want to start a build thread in the "Members Tanks" section with all of this good stuff. It's a great way to track the evolution of the tank while getting encouragement, tips and tricks from other reefers. And you get the nifty "Build Thread Contributor" badge. :)

OP
OP
curiel909

curiel909

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your system looks great.
You can absolutely add a bag of carbon to a high flow area of the sump or use a reactor.
As far as easy corals, if your softies are doing well, you might try a hardy, inexpensive SPS like stylophora or montipora digitata in a high flow high light area.

You know, you have some really good info in this thread. You may want to start a build thread in the "Members Tanks" section with all of this good stuff. It's a great way to track the evolution of the tank while getting encouragement, tips and tricks from other reefers. And you get the nifty "Build Thread Contributor" badge. :)

Thank you very much! I just ordered some carbon from BRS. Getting here Friday. I plan on checking out my LFS this weekend to check out the coral.

I have not thought about posting a "Build Thread" but i am convinced since i like the badge haha.

Thanks again!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 101 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 78 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 38 16.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.3%
Back