Another 'Which Skimmer' Question

Rovert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm presently running a DAS BX-3 skimmer, and not only is it absolutely HUGE, but it's way more than I need, being designed for tanks of 300++ gallons or more. My present tank (CADE1800) has 200 a gallon water volume (display + sump) and is being set up as a mixed reef SPS dominant, so not a heavy bioload.

I'd like to find something more manageable (smaller) to replace it and make more room in my sump. Looking for a solution with these characteristics:

• DC controlled, possibly recirculating (open to opinions on that)
  • Easy to disassemble for cleaning.
  • External feed pump - many models are built around proprietary pumps that may be hard to replace down the road when something goes wrong because the skimmer body was designed specifically around it. I want to be able to slap on any brand feed pump in an emergency to get up and running again.
  • Apex-compatible (so that it can be controlled to dial back in off-hours or stopped for feeding sessions)
  • Has to be QUIET. My present DAS skimmer is a way too noisy for my likes.
  • NOTE: My sump water depth is 9", I'm told that makes a difference for some units.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Last edited:

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sure have very specific requirements and I will follow along to see what others think. But couple of suggestions, sump is one large filter so I do not add sump into total water volume, I just use the display volume for skimmer sizing. Also corals are really filters they consume fish poop and other things in the water so not part of the equation. I only use fish load to size my skimmer. For heavy load general rule I seen is 1/2” of fish per display gallon. Too large of a skimmer will skim inconsistent and just bubble most of the time. Good luck.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with a reef octopus regal. I personally like the simplicity of the INT model but if you want the recirculating then you can go with an EXT model. These offer apex control have quiet pumps and are common enough to offer good parts availability. I would probably go with the 250 INT or 250 EXT

ShellSea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm presently running a DAS BX-3 skimmer, and not only is it absolutely HUGE, but it's way more than I need, being designed for tanks of 300++ gallons or more. My present tank (CADE1800) has 200 a gallon water volume (display + sump) and is being set up as a mixed reef SPS dominant, so not a heavy bioload.

I'd like to find something more manageable (smaller) to replace it and make more room in my sump. Looking for a solution with these characteristics:

• DC controlled, possibly recirculating (open to opinions on that)
  • Easy to disassemble for cleaning.
  • External feed pump - many models are built around proprietary pumps that may be hard to replace down the road when something goes wrong because the skimmer body was designed specifically around it. I want to be able to slap on any brand feed pump in an emergency to get up and running again.
  • Apex-compatible (so that it can be controlled to dial back in off-hours or stopped for feeding sessions)
  • Has to be QUIET. My present DAS skimmer is a way too noisy for my likes.
  • NOTE: My sump water depth is 9", I'm told that makes a difference for some units.

Looking forward to your suggestions.
Do yourself a favor and look at Lifereef. His website has a ton of technical knowledge and he makes the most awesome and time tested skimmers as well as sumps and other equipment. I have had the base 24 inch skimmer for years now and it has outperformed any other skimmer I know of.

Back