Another which t5 question....

Pauliex77x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've started to add some macro algae to my display that is mostly mushrooms and zoas. I use a 4 bulb t5 fixture. My current setup has 1 ati actinic, 2 blue plus, and a coral plus bulb. I'm due to change them out in about a month and would like to make a setup that suits everything.

I don't mind a whiter tank if it benefits the macro so I was thinking of keeping the actinic and one blue plus bulb and either 2 coral plus bulbs or even 2 aquablue specials.

Anyone have a similar setup or have some advice?

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I ran T5s I preferred the look of the coral plus bulbs over the aquablue specials. To my eye, the coral plus looked like a crisper white whereas the aquablue special looked more yellow. When I had a 4 bulb fixture I ran an actinic, 2 blue plus and 1 coral plus, but you can certainly do 2 coral plus and only 1 blue plus if you like the brighter white look.

OP
OP
Pauliex77x

Pauliex77x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most macro tanks I see have the whiter look or even use a freshwater light.

I love the coral plus bulb but I thought I saw that the aquablue is a full spectrum light. Since I know they all work with corals I was wondering more which would benefit the macro.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most macro tanks I see have the whiter look or even use a freshwater light.

I love the coral plus bulb but I thought I saw that the aquablue is a full spectrum light. Since I know they all work with corals I was wondering more which would benefit the macro.
Gotcha. Both the aquablue special and coral plus are 15K bulbs but the aquablue special is higher in the green and yellow ranges. Your macros will be fine under either bulb it's more of what your eye prefers.

OP
OP
Pauliex77x

Pauliex77x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. If they are the same performance wise I'll just dump one of the blue plus bulbs to run 2 coral plus in the second channel. Appreciate the input.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. If they are the same performance wise I'll just dump one of the blue plus bulbs to run 2 coral plus in the second channel. Appreciate the input.
If you want some red in the mix purple plus is a good bulb too. I run i blue plus 2 coral plus and a purple plus

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sfin52 has a good point. Macros would prefer more of the red spectrum so maybe consider swapping the actinic for the purple plus.

OP
OP
Pauliex77x

Pauliex77x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont mind the look of the purple plus. I've always run an actinic tho because of the spectrum and coral pop.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good suggestions above.

Aquablue special, to my eyes, looks way more yellow than the Coral+. If you want a really yellow bulb, GE makes a 6500K. It's cheap, so if you hate it, no big deal.

I always add to these threads: Buy extra bulbs so you can experiment.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back