Any advice on cyano outbreak

DanC40

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all
I seem to be having a cyano bloom in my 170 mixed reef.
My parameters
Salinity 1.026
Ph 8.3 8.4
Nitrate 3
Phosphate. 07
Calcium 400
Alk 9.5
Mag 1300

So i had already gone through a minit cyano outbreak when the tank was a few months old. It went away. Then after everything was ok little cyano but nothing like now. I noticed it seems to be more where the flow is less. Additionally i had in resent weeks been trying to get phosphates down. They where at .2. And nitrates where at 13.

So i decided to start carbon dosing.
Mind u i also have refugium and algae scrubber i know overkill. Well since carbon dosing the nitrates have bottom to 0 and phosphates still around .07.
Not sure if the carbon dosing is causing the outbreak.
Has any one experience this I'm using brighwell reef fuel.
Im tempted to start chemiclean cause I'm getting tired of picking it out.
I do water change every week about 20 to 30 gallons. I do hace a heavy load i think.
1 hifin tang
1 dominoe damsel full grown
3 blue damsel
4 clowns small
3 bangal cardinals
1 green mandarin
1 scotter goby
1 alagea goby
1 six line
1 tailspot blenny
3 evansi anthias about 21 fish mostly small.
Any experience welcomed. Tank is abou 7 months old.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Search button on R2R is your friend. :)
We've almost all have had Cyno, there is a wealth of history on it here.
Zero Nitrates is never good, get these up, your Cyno will probably subside. go slow, don't instantly cut off carbon dosing either.

OP
OP
DanC40

DanC40

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
14 foot thanks i figured that and started feeding more and dosing nitrates. I got it up to 3 over a cours of days. I think maybe thats why i did cut the dosing back.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion is to add More flow , add a competing bacteria like microbactor 7 from brightwell, run a UV light if you can , and cut back schedule on the lighting for a week or two all while keeping your phosphates , nitrates and the rest of the parameters up to par . It will go away on its own but it will take time . Nothing good in the hobby happens fast so be patient . Good luck :cool:

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
14 foot thanks i figured that and started feeding more and dosing nitrates. I got it up to 3 over a cours of days. I think maybe thats why i did cut the dosing back.
perfect just keep an eye on it. Nitrates up to 10-15 would be my target( my target, maybe not others )

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When reducing nutrient availability, this can allow the populations of pest type algaes like Cyano and Dino to increase, and start to outcompete the good guys which keep our rocks and sand clean. Stabilize your nitrate and phosphate, add bacteria daily, dose with pyhto and forget the water changes until it disappears. Feel free to remove as much as possible through a filter sock, but return the water.
Having your invisible good guys keep your tank tidy is a great long term solution.

OP
OP
DanC40

DanC40

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great so i will start dosing bacter 7 should be here tomorrow. No water changes so that the bacteria can rally. Stabalize nutrients by keeping them at the acceptable range nitrates up to 10ppm and phosphate under .1

I appreciate the advise. I m working ion trying not to touch the tank to much I have a tendency to want to change thing which i know only make it worse.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great so i will start dosing bacter 7 should be here tomorrow. No water changes so that the bacteria can rally. Stabalize nutrients by keeping them at the acceptable range nitrates up to 10ppm and phosphate under .1

I appreciate the advise. I m working ion trying not to touch the tank to much I have a tendency to want to change thing which i know only make it worse.
listening is the key, keep your mind open for learning and you will succeed!!!
You had a very positive response !!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back