Any divers around here?

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up deep six diving here in florida. They have the nets. Forget all the monofilament nets the fish see them. Clear vinyl sides with screen mesh bottom is the way to go. I don't like putting fish in a bag that has the potential to collapse on the fish either. Reffering to the laundry bag idea.

Sacohen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certified since 1983, but have not been diving in many years. I would love to get back into it, but I can't afford the diving and the tank.

rworegon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got certified ehen I was 15 in Berrien Springs Michigan. Dove in the local lakes on wrecks in Lake Michigan. Used to retrieve wood from the F.W Wheeler, a coal hauler that went down in 1885 and dry it and make furniture. Still have a coffee teble and a couple of lamps I made. Used recovered chain to make table legs. Never had the opportunity to dive saltwater but would love to. I just can't bring myself to buy the gear required to dive the Oregon coast where the water temps rarely get above the low to mid 50's.

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm Certified for Open Water and working toward Adventure Diver.

To take/collect you will need a permit or license depending on the area. Prices depend on if it is Recreational/Personal or Commercial/Business, the length of the license, and whether or not you are a resident.

But even with a license you may still be regulated depending on the things you are collecting. You are limited to the amount of coral/fish you can take depending on species etc. and whether you can Dive or Snorkel to collect them and what methods you are allowed to use to do so. In the Bahamas on a Live Aboard "Cruise" we were allowed to hunt lobster on opening day of lobster season. But we could only use snorkels and a spear. No dive gear. In FL and most East Coast states/countries it is open season on Lionfish since they are invasive, you can catch live or dead or simply kill them with a majority of different methods and you can free dive, snorkel, or SCUBA to do so.

So you have to read up before you go out and do something or you could get a fine or worse.

Here is FL permit site: https://public.myfwc.com/CrossDOI/LPIS/LicenseDetails.aspx

I was born in a jacuzzi and speak Flounderish. Also a certified diver and experienced snorkeler. What'ya want to know?

Bahahaha!

OP
OP
tyler1503

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to square one. None of the local dive shops have anything useful for this. They didn't have the vinyl sided nets or the acrylic nets or anything else small enough for me. I think I'll give my PVC and net idea a go unless anyone has any reason why this won't work?
Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Mr. E Wrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to square one. None of the local dive shops have anything useful for this. They didn't have the vinyl sided nets or the acrylic nets or anything else small enough for me. I think I'll give my PVC and net idea a go unless anyone has any reason why this won't work?
Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
I would type in collecting nets for fish on a google search and see what comes up. I know they're for sale on amazon and diversdirect but dont know if diversdirect ships to you. Heres the link if you wanna give it a try!
A-Plus Large Tropical Fish Collection Net

Back