Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Any "pro" sump plumbers in the club...?

And notice "pro" is in quotes :)
I'm not necessarily a pro but have experience :) What's going on?

OP
OP
salty150

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at getting a new setup in the next couple of months.

Would need help with the plumbing - as I have never done it before.

Trying to figure out how to hard plumb a return line and UV.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Nice! Well, it can look intimidating at first but it is actually very simple & quick to do pvc work. Thankfully pvc is fairly cheap as well in case you make mistakes. I'm sure we could coach you through it

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Definitely check out YouTube and brs videos for the proper way to install a uv, that will help a bit as well :)

OP
OP
salty150

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would like to use a separate pump for the UV - and not use the included manifold for it.

340open__52462.png

Viperdragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on where your location is maybe I could convince the wife to let me take a road trip I still need to make it out to zachs lol

OP
OP
salty150

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could help too. I would agree iv on its own pump. What do you plan on using it for.
More-so for parasite mitigation.

Just as another layer of protection - I plan to get all of the fish from a seller that quarantines.

That way, if needed, I can also run it for a short time at a higher GPH for any unwanted bacteria or algae that might occur.

Viperdragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best was to plumb it would be tank to tank but not everyone wants a pump in the tank. That is the best way for parasites. Or if you don't plan on running it all the time you could make it so it hangs on the tank where the pump in only in there temporary and to me wouldn't be to bad. Then you wouldn't have to worrie about flow in the over flow box

Viperdragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my plumbed in from my sump and it does ok for parasites but when I had it run more of a closed loop tank to tank with pump in tank Inthink things worked better and I may change it back

OP
OP
salty150

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best was to plumb it would be tank to tank but not everyone wants a pump in the tank. That is the best way for parasites. Or if you don't plan on running it all the time you could make it so it hangs on the tank where the pump in only in there temporary and to me wouldn't be to bad. Then you wouldn't have to worrie about flow in the over flow box
I have my plumbed in from my sump and it does ok for parasites but when I had it run more of a closed loop tank to tank with pump in tank Inthink things worked better and I may change it back
I can help out too. I have a lot of experience with complicated plumbing and manifolds.
I do plan on using it 24/7 - for parasite mitigation.

However, if there is ever any sort of bacterial or algae problem - I would run it at a higher GPH to take care of that - and then return it to the lower GPH after that.

I really don't like the idea of having a pump in the tank. :p

If there is some way to modify the hard plumbing that comes with the setup (as shown above in post #6) to somehow take water from the overflow line and run it through the UV and then return it back to the return line - or something like that... That would be the same as from display back to display, correct?

Otherwise hard plumbing it to a second pump somehow?

If nothing else, hard plumbing it to a second pump so it takes the water from the sump section right after the filter socks/filter roller, running it through the UV, and the returning the water to the very next chamber (protein skimmer) - that way the water doesn't bypass any of the filtration.

UV Install 2.png

Or...? :)

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do plan on using it 24/7 - for parasite mitigation.

However, if there is ever any sort of bacterial or algae problem - I would run it at a higher GPH to take care of that - and then return it to the lower GPH after that.

I really don't like the idea of having a pump in the tank. :p

If there is some way to modify the hard plumbing that comes with the setup (as shown above in post #6) to somehow take water from the overflow line and run it through the UV and then return it back to the return line - or something like that... That would be the same as from display back to display, correct?

Otherwise hard plumbing it to a second pump somehow?

If nothing else, hard plumbing it to a second pump so it takes the water from the sump section right after the filter socks/filter roller, running it through the UV, and the returning the water to the very next chamber (protein skimmer) - that way the water doesn't bypass any of the filtration.

UV Install 2.png

Or...? :)
You can place a dedicated pump in your skimmer section and return it to your fuge section. If it were me, I would hard plumb it off a manifold from the main return and dump it back into the fuge section.

OP
OP
salty150

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can place a dedicated pump in your skimmer section and return it to your fuge section. If it were me, I would hard plumb it off a manifold from the main return and dump it back into the fuge section.
I think we might be saying the same thing - just reading the sump diagram differently...?

The sump diagram shows (or at least the way I plan on setting it up) - the filter sock chamber, then the fuge chamber, then the protein skimmer chamber, then the return chamber.

So I would be setting up the UV pump in the fuge section and returning it to the skimmer section - is that what you are saying?

And then I guess I don't understand why you would plumb the UV from the main return back into the fuge section...?

That way you would be re-sterilizing the same water a lot more frequently... no...?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 49 30.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 55 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%
Back