Any tips for a healthy orange lip conch? :)

Lily Lemire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there !:D
Just bought an orange lip conch for my ten gal. Nano reef tank ( 2 clowns , 1 hermit + some coral frags and mushrooms ) and was wondering if anyone has personal experience with these little creatures! They are so hardworking ! I like mine so much already ☺☺ I find it hard to have advice about these critters on the web...there seems to be only the basic infos ( the kind you get while reading on a website that sells saltwater creatures)
Here's mine !
Im trying very hard to give it a nice name usually i wait until i discover the creature's personality haha sounds weird i know but who cares haha i love my critters ! :)
So anyone please share any infos that could help my conch ☺
Thanks in advance ! :)
Lily

AirBrush_20180626213748.jpg

AirBrush_20180626213813.jpg

AirBrush_20180626213844.jpg

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love these guys! I have two in my tank and they are hard workers, they along with my Rainford's Goby keep my sand spotless. I'll rubberband some Nori to a frag plug and drop it on the sand for them to munch on if there isn't enough algae in the tank, otherwise as long as there is algae in the tank they're fine.

OP
OP
Lily Lemire

Lily Lemire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love these guys! I have two in my tank and they are hard workers, they along with my Rainford's Goby keep my sand spotless. I'll rubberband some Nori to a frag plug and drop it on the sand for them to munch on if there isn't enough algae in the tank, otherwise as long as there is algae in the tank they're fine.

Thx!:) Do you think that reddish brown dried algae is ok? I bought some months ago because there were not any green seaweed algae in my usual store and thought i would give it a try ? :)

OP
OP
Lily Lemire

Lily Lemire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx!:) Do you think that reddish brown dried algae is ok? I bought some months because there were not amy green seaweed algae and thought i would give it a try ? :)

Oh and what size is your tank? Do you think it will be ok in a 10 gal? Im also afraid that my sand is too coarse...;/ what do you think?

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx!:) Do you think that reddish brown dried algae is ok? I bought some months ago because there were not any green seaweed algae in my usual store and thought i would give it a try ? :)
It should be fine.

Oh and what size is your tank? Do you think it will be ok in a 10 gal? Im also afraid that my sand is too coarse...;/ what do you think?
I have a 75g tank. It should do fine in a 10g and don't worry about the sand. Don't be alarmed if you lose sight of it, sometimes they bury into the sand for days at a time.

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be prepared to feed him some algae, preferably green and red/purple. It's unlikely a 10 gallon will produce enough to keep him fed long term.

OP
OP
Lily Lemire

Lily Lemire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be prepared to feed him some algae, preferably green and red/purple. It's unlikely a 10 gallon will produce enough to keep him fed long term.
Yeah i put a rubberband with some red seaweed on a rock and leave it there a couple hours...any risk that it creates nitrates ? Can i leave it there till ita all gone? For now since i dont want to take any chances i take it back couple hours later

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do regular water changes with a 10 gallon tank you have so much turn over its hard for them to build up.
And if they did it's really easy to get them under control.

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks nice and clean and healthy. :) You really don't have to do much for them, they find food on their own and will bury themselves for days or weeks on occasion which I believe is when they are busy growing their shell larger.

OP
OP
Lily Lemire

Lily Lemire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks nice and clean and healthy. :) You really don't have to do much for them, they find food on their own and will bury themselves for days or weeks on occasion which I believe is when they are busy growing their shell larger.

Thanks ! :D
I didnt know they buried themselves for so long like that haha

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 90 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back