Anyone have Chalices under 10 K 250 MH ?

seafansar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Oh, well hopefully someone else will chime in. My BGM seems to be growing and I've only had it s few weeks, but I hear they are a quick grower anyway.

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grow... baby... grow... lol :)
of course not for my own benefit... hehee :)

Oh, well hopefully someone else will chime in. My BGM seems to be growing and I've only had it s few weeks, but I hear they are a quick grower anyway.

TCK Corals

Always 100% Aquacultured
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is one of the slowest growing coral you will ever own. The nicer the chalice the slower it grow.

Bio-nut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They feed on Zooplankton but many feed mysis shrimp or cyclopods. various specimen feed differently. But as far as lighting I have been keeping mine under three ATI blue+ and one Fiji purple. And my growth rate has been pretty great along with coloration. but I have a few mycedium specimen that are the slowest growers in the world.

seafansar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Grow... baby... grow... lol :)
of course not for my own benefit... hehee :)

LOL. Well I guess I shouldn't say it's grown that much. Pretty much healed around the edges (it was pretty freshly cut when I got them) and looks to be forming another eye on one of them (tiny pink dot is forming). I've only had it a few weeks, so that's fast growing to me! lol.

I feed with marine snow and cyclopeeze every few nights, so that could be helping. I don't spot feed anything though.

So I know chalices are slow growers, but aren't most LPS like favias, brains, and such? Or are they even slower than them? :squigglemouth: I have a small frag of a maze brain coral that I've had for about a year. It's only grown a little bit around the sides. It's grown onto the rock, but maybe only about half an inch on three sides. How do chalices compare to that?

Reefhabit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont like my growth w/ 20 k or 14 K

Hi Cuda,
How large is your tank? All of my chalices grow super fast in my 40 gallon frag/breeder tank that is illuminated with one 175 watt 20k halide fired with PFO ballast and one 24 watt super blue t-5.
Even the slow growers like my Tyree Pink Watermelon and my Oregon Mummy eye grows super fast in my system. I don't protein skim though. Just a refugium. That might have something to do with the fast growth.
Maybe more nutrients. It seems like chalices like a bit of nitrates and some phosphates.

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulb choice wouldn't normally cause that. I would check your parameters first.

The difference in bulbs as far as corals is concerned is the par. So if they were under 10k's before, you could start them higher in a 20k lighted tank generally. Although some 20k's are putting out a lot more par than they used to.
Chalices just grow slow. Especially if they are still healing, it takes a while for them to acclimate, color-up and then grow continuously, but when they start they have been pretty steady growers for me.
They slow wayy ddown when my parameters have been off though - same with any of my corals.

OP
OP
Cuda

Cuda

Hunter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question came out wrong my chalices grow fine buts zoos took a dump.
Hi Cuda,
How large is your tank? All of my chalices grow super fast in my 40 gallon frag/breeder tank that is illuminated with one 175 watt 20k halide fired with PFO ballast and one 24 watt super blue t-5.
Even the slow growers like my Tyree Pink Watermelon and my Oregon Mummy eye grows super fast in my system. I don't protein skim though. Just a refugium. That might have something to do with the fast growth.
Maybe more nutrients. It seems like chalices like a bit of nitrates and some phosphates.

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question came out wrong my chalices grow fine buts zoos took a dump.

Definetely a parameter issue I would think.

What are they right now?
dKh, P04, N03?

OP
OP
Cuda

Cuda

Hunter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new high tech test kit was off . The old basic one showed DKH was way low. I have been buffering and thing getting better I'm at 2.25 now and will bump it again. Thanks you made me test again to confirm.
Definetely a parameter issue I would think.

What are they right now?
dKh, P04, N03?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back