Anyone have info on Goby/Caribbean pistol shrimp pairs?

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This got lost on the invertebrate forum so I thought I'd try over here:

I have what I believe is an Alpheus formosus, otherwise known as a Caribbean Snapping Shrimp or Larger Blue-Legged Pistol shrimp. He was a hitchhiker on a shipment of Tampa Bay Saltwater live rock and just recently let himself become visible after having dug some impressive tunnels under my rock. He is probably 2" to 2 1/4" long. I don't have his photo yet, but here is a photo from online:

7707762798_ee47a055dc_b.jpg

I currently have a Yellow Watchman Goby sitting in quarantine. I believe I may have lost the Randall's Pistol Shrimp I originally had with him. I'm curious if anyone has information on successful pairing of the A. formosus species with a YWG? What little I've found seems to indicate that this shrimp species has better vision so it may be less likely to pair up. I've also read that certain pistols may even prey upon small gobies. The YWG I have is about the same size as the A. formosus.

Any info would be appreciated.

SalinFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a watchman and a mantis for a week. I bought them as a pair with the same anticipation. Not long after they arrived things started missing... Snails, hermit crabs, etc. The kicker was my clown fish. I nickname the mantis Dr Lecter because all that was left of my little guy was his skin. Broke my heart as my two clowns were a mated pair. After that, they both went back to the lfs. Good luck.

Back