Anyone know anything about chemipure

Carterfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I️ have a 50 gal tank for about 10 years. Everything is going pretty good however recently got some cyano and film algae. I️ have a wet dry sump, tank is mostly fish only but am wanting to get an anemone. Would chemipure help stabilize my water? And which one would I️ get. Otherwise is there any other filter media I️ should get?

john90009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you have for flow? Have any macro algea growing in that wet/dry? Starting with good ro/di water that goes into the tank. And how old are your lights over the tank? Have a picture of the tank and filter?

OP
OP
C

Carterfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you have for flow? Have any macro algea growing in that wet/dry? Starting with good ro/di water that goes into the tank. And how old are your lights over the tank? Have a picture of the tank and filter?

Don’t have a pic right now(vacation) but I’m currently running with low flow unfortunately. Want to get a better wave maker soon. I️ don’t have macro algae. I️ use RODI water. Lights are Current USA led.

john90009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may not solve the problem but could potentially help make the system cleaner for the long run, i had a wet dry on my first 55 gallon tank and i found a small spot where i could tumble cheato. I used to have koralias and then replaced with 1 mp power head, from there on out corals and the tank just seemed happier with them so i will never run a tank without a mp (just my opinion). Cyano is weird it can come and go randomly, i would just make sure that the ro/di is as clean as possible, maybe try to boost flow. After alonggg time some reefs just get old and organics build up in places, over time pumps slow down and maintenance doesn't always happen as consistent as it used to. Are the bioballs in the wetdry filled with gunk?

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemipure is nothing more than overpriced carbon in a filter bag. Chemipure elite is the same with a little GFO thrown in so they can charge even more. Carbon and GFO can be had for much cheaper from BRS and many other online retailers (especially if you buy larger quantities). Running either in a reactor is a much more efficient method that using it an a filter bag because you will increase the contact area. Depending on the size of the tank, a TLF 150 may be large enough for you. If not, consider the reactor set ups from (once again) BRS or similar. Although the two media can be run in the same reactor, they will lose effectiveness at different rates so you will be better off using them separately.

If you have low to no PO4, the don't use GFO. All of your tanks inhabitants need a small amount of phosphate for basic metabolic purposes.

I use carbon 24/7/365 and have for the entire time I've been reefing (30 years). I find it useful for removing some dissolved organic compounds (DOC's) and is especially useful for use in any mixed reef (softies and stonies) due to the soft corals propensity to release turpines as a means of chemical warfare against the encroaching LPS/SPS corals in your system. If your water seems to have a slightly yellowish tint, the use of carbon will take care of it in short order.

hth

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus you have to rinse the chemipure bag for what seems like hours before it runs clear. 24/365 here too and not a chemipure in sight.

OP
OP
C

Carterfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just use carbon in a filter bag? I️ don’t really have the space for a reactor. I️ mainly just use the biological filtration from the bio balls and the live rock. I️ do have a lot of gunk in my sump though. Haven’t really cleaned I️t out or replaced the bio balls in a long time and it’s just now getting bad. Do I️ replace the bio balls or just wash them?

Dennis McGrath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago, I used Chemipure, it did an ok job. Then I switched to Purigen, and have used it for years ever since. Makes the water crystal clear and keeps everything in check.

lzrlvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I use chemipure blue in my 15 gal reef tank and I have had no problems yet tank less than 3 months old.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using Chemipure Elite for years. It's not a silver bullet; you still have to be diligent in your maintenance, but it does help.

john90009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly when i have any tank that i want coral in it, i remove bioballs. yeah its good for keeping good bacteria have grabbing crud, but once that crud builds up, it builds up. i try to get as much clean quick flow through my tanks and filters so debri doesnt settle anywhere. i am also wondering what kind of nem did you want and im hoping that the current leds are strong enough to keep him happy.

OP
OP
C

Carterfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly when i have any tank that i want coral in it, i remove bioballs. yeah its good for keeping good bacteria have grabbing crud, but once that crud builds up, it builds up. i try to get as much clean quick flow through my tanks and filters so debri doesnt settle anywhere. i am also wondering what kind of nem did you want and im hoping that the current leds are strong enough to keep him happy.

Yes I’m hoping to get a bubble tip anemone soon. I️ have T-5 fixtures in the closet if the led isn’t working.

Ulee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Syphon the film out. Remove manually , as much as you can...

You want great flow in your tank.

Chemiclean will remove it..it's about the only product that does the work l. My experience has been great.
Ok
Chemipure, is high quality, highly porous carbon

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 186 72.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 47 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back