Anyone know if this is a sponge or tunicate? Its gorgeous and I have a credit! Cant find much info but listed as a tiger sponge.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea what this beauty is and if the listing is correct! Cant get vendor to call me either or answer my messages. Long story!

I have a credit and might use part of it on this but from what I have read It dosnt seem like its a sponge and might possibly be a tunicate or sea squirt! Its gorgeous and listed as a tiger sponge!

Any info on care and what its is would be greatly appreciated!

tiger sponge.jpg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to the above.

Australian Spider Sponge/Tiger Sponge (the name is also used with some colonial tunicates as well) - the white parts of these sponges (the sponges being Trikentrion flabelliforme) are actually zoanthids that live in a semi-parasitic-semi-mutualistic relationship with the sponge.

To my understanding, these are remarkably difficult sponges to keep (even compared to other ornamental sponges), possibly in part due to the zoanthids on them that make them so striking.

If you want to try keeping them or other ornamental sponges, I wouldn't expect success with them, but the below may help with any attempts:
For keeping sponges, I'd suggest reading through the following threads (and any links to other threads in my posts in them):
As a note, you can click my username in the quote above to be taken to thread the quote is from, and there's a bit more reading there for anyone interested.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 48 41.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 21 18.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%

Back