0   0   0
1707523558037.png

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've still got a long ways to go on the "pest algae" species, so I may well be wrong, but the early stages of chrysophytes would be my guess too.

Any chance you could get some microscope pics of some of it?

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's just new white rock fuzz, get some trochus snails and give it time, you could scrub it once a week with a tooth brush to make it easier for the snails but that's pretty standard fuzzzzz.

luckily I've gone to war with chrysophytes and can say 99% sure that's not what you have yet :) that stuff is worse than dinos imo :(

OP
OP
B

Braveheart!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drew Turner (Bulk Reef Supply)

Apr 5, 2024, 9:17 AM CDT

Hi Michael,

Thanks for reaching out to us! That white hairy fuzz could either be a fungus or a bacterial outbreak. To tell the difference you can take a part of it off the rock with your hands and dip it or smear it with methylene blue. If it is fungus then it will stain blue, if it is bacteria it will not be stained at all. If it is fungus then you can order some antifungal treatments like PrimaFix. If it is bacterial then a UV sterilizer might be needed to eradicate it. If you have any other quesitons please let me know!

Regards,
Aperture Support Group

OP
OP
B

Braveheart!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update - I used PrimaFix for seven days. At first I thought it maybe helping a little, but my conclusion it had little to no effect. All my fish lived, my corals weren't happy but survived, my snails weren't happy and a few turned over and died.

Next step - My current system had a Aquatop Submersible UV Sterilizer on it. (In the Sump). I have replaced that with a inline 25 Watt Classic UV Sterilizer - Black Body - Aqua Ultraviolet.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back