Anyone with Oculus Rift / HTC Vive - Virtual Reality?

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

One of my hobbies outside of Reefkeeping is Virtual Reality/gaming.

Is there anyone else on here with an Oculus Rift or HTC Vive?

I've got an Oculus Rift setup with 3 sensors and a desktop:

Intel I7-7700K
Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080 TI
MSI Z270 M7 Gaming mobo
Using SSD's
Razer gaming mouse/keyboard
Razer Man O War Wireless headset

If anyone's interested in playing some multiplayer VR [or PUBG] hit me with a PM!

Also: Happy to discuss VR in the thread, whether you have it, don't have it - are interested in it - have tried it and had good or bad experiences etc.

Note - Oculus Rift/HTC Vive are not like the Google Cardboard/Samsung Gear VR experiences [Rift/Vive are substantially more powerful]

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it for the PS4 (which is obviously far inferior to the Rift).......I enjoy it immensely. I play mainly survival horror games on it.....also just picked up Boxing which is pretty cool.

Rover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to live with a roommate with the HTC Vive. It was amazing. Full motion full room VR is something else to experience. I was doing a survival horror shooter game with a room full of people at a New Years Eve party and completely forgot people were there, the headphones drowned them out and I got quite immersed in the game.

Something jumped out of a corner and scared the crap out of me. All I heard was laughter. Apparently I /leapt/ into the air, and drew my legs up under myself like a cat to keep it from grabbing me, all while trying to shoot it. It was a blast of a time!

The only downside of full-room VR is ... well... you need a full room to do it in :p

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it for the PS4 (which is obviously far inferior to the Rift).......I enjoy it immensely. I play mainly survival horror games on it.....also just picked up Boxing which is pretty cool.

Awesome - I haven't had a chance to try the PSVR yet, but I have used both the Rift [which I own] and the Vive which a buddy owns. Some of the PSVR exclusives make me jealous, but you also won't have the opportunity to run some of the games that need the extra power/hardware.

The Touch controllers on the Rift make a world of difference - the Vive honestly doesn't compare when you're talking about the experience that you get in the headset.

I used to live with a roommate with the HTC Vive. It was amazing. Full motion full room VR is something else to experience. I was doing a survival horror shooter game with a room full of people at a New Years Eve party and completely forgot people were there, the headphones drowned them out and I got quite immersed in the game.

Something jumped out of a corner and scared the crap out of me. All I heard was laughter. Apparently I /leapt/ into the air, and drew my legs up under myself like a cat to keep it from grabbing me, all while trying to shoot it. It was a blast of a time!

The only downside of full-room VR is ... well... you need a full room to do it in :p

I've freaked quite a few people out over the past year or so =)

Some people i've demo'd to don't quite understand how different it is from a flat screen, and they underestimate the affect of being *totally* isolated within the headset.

Luckily my wife is very generous about the space - we're moving to a new [bigger] apartment in 2 weeks, and i'll have an entire extra bedroom dedicated just to my PC and VR setup. I can't wait to get it all set up! I've got around 14' x 12' to set up in, so i'm thinking a 10' x 10' play area to account for a healthy boundary.

I've also had a number of people run full blast into the wall because of their visceral reaction, and forgetting that they're in VR. It really does a good job of pulling you in - and this is pretty much consumer Generation 1, so it'll only get better from here!

Thanks for dropping by and sharing your thoughts/experiences! I was starting to think that there weren't any VR reefers. =O

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you ever happen to find yourself in Grand Rapids, MI - send me a PM if you'd like to give the Rift a try sometimes [assuming you haven't tried the Rift/Vive]. Ohio isn't "close" but maybe you'll end up in Beer City for some reason!

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you ever happen to find yourself in Grand Rapids, MI - send me a PM if you'd like to give the Rift a try sometimes [assuming you haven't tried the Rift/Vive]. Ohio isn't "close" but maybe you'll end up in Beer City for some reason!
Sounds great....thanks for the invite. My biggest gripe with the PSVR is the lower resolution.....the games themselves are very smooth and believable. I am playing Resident Evil now and you believe that you are in that world. It seems like developers are starting to figure out the limitations a little bit. The games are starting to look much better from earlier releases.

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds great....thanks for the invite. My biggest gripe with the PSVR is the lower resolution.....the games themselves are very smooth and believable. I am playing Resident Evil now and you believe that you are in that world. It seems like developers are starting to figure out the limitations a little bit. The games are starting to look much better from earlier releases.

Yeah, I haven't gotten too far into it yet, but I head on the PC VR that if you have the hardware to push the limits, you can do something called "supersampling" which greatly increases the perceived resolution. I believe the PSVR is similar, if not completely comparable to the Rift/Vive [non Pro] in resolution. I keep waiting to see RE7 hit the Oculus or Steam store since it's no longer under exclusivity contract with Sony/Playstation.

There is another called Paranormal Activity that I hear is really good, but I haven't forked out the $$ for it yet [keeping a reef is expensive enough without VR, right?]. I vastly upgraded my computer from a Laptop with a 1070 and 17-7700hq to my current PC with a 1080TI and i7-7700k. I've heard/read that the difference should be substantial - I plan to set up the Rift again tonight after work!

I've also just bought Elite Dangerous which has/supports VR, but I tried the game in flatscreen mode and the controls and movement is pretty confusing.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 13 8.8%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 42 28.6%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 70 47.6%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back