AP9X vs Radion XR15 hybrid

coralboi56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,

In the planning stages of a new tank (around 4ft). Tank would be an SPS dominated mixed reef. I've narrowed the lighting down to two options: 2 XR15s paired with 2 AI coral grow blades, or 2 Kessil AP9X. Which one would you guys implement and why? Thanks in advance

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont think you can go wrong with ethier but i like my kessils so my vote in kessils

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask specifically what you like about them? I can't find many reefers that use them, but I know my old coral only LFS swears by them
i like the shimmer and colour they put out . i have ran xr15s and they just seem to washed out for me

DrkNMighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question. Is there a reason you are set on those 2 lights? I ask because I think a single Orphek Atlantik icon might work.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have grown SPS under both those lights. XR15s are not that powerful for an SPS dominant tank, but the AI blades will add more power.

AP9X is awesome if you are ok with some shading. That thing has so much power.

OP
OP
coralboi56

coralboi56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question. Is there a reason you are set on those 2 lights? I ask because I think a single Orphek Atlantik icon might work.
Most LED SPS tanks I've seen use Kessil or Radion hybrids. Even BRS uses kessil in a lot of their tanks. They're brands that I know can grow acro dominated tanks. Not saying anything bad about other brands, I just don't know them as well.

OP
OP
coralboi56

coralboi56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have grown SPS under both those lights. XR15s are not that powerful for an SPS dominant tank, but the AI blades will add more power.

AP9X is awesome if you are ok with some shading. That thing has so much power.
That would work. I plan to have a lot of acros and Pocillopora for the majority of the coral cover, with some lps and softies for space fill in

DrkNMighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think out of those two choices I would go with 2 AP9X and probably a secondary light like AI blades or Orphek OR3s to cover shadowing. Based on the light map on the Kessil sight there will definitely be some shadowed areas. That was the main reason I went Orphek. I didn't want to have to buy 2-4 lights to cover a 4ft tank with adequate PAR spread.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back