Apex controlling Ecotech L1 Update - Putting L1 in to feed mode with Apex

scottsweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I used the plunger to manually depress the feed mode button on the controller. The plunger got weak over time so I had to go to plan B.

I modified the controller with a couple of wires, grinded out the heat sync and connected the two wires to a 24V relay that is controlled by the 24V Accessory Port of the Apex 832. Here are some pics of the controller.

I now power a relay with the Accessory Port. This closes the Feed Mode button circuit and puts the L1 in to Feed Mode.

I connected this controller to Mobius, but the connection is flakey. I couldn't get the pump to complete the calibration with Mobius. In order for the feed to work, the pump has to be calibrated. So I calibrated the pump manually and now the feed works.

IMG_1435.jpeg

IMG_1434.jpeg

IMG_1433.jpeg

Last edited:

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just on/off control? Whats the calibration issue about (for someone not caught up on the thread)?

OP
OP
S

scottsweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just on/off control? Whats the calibration issue about (for someone not caught up on the thread)?
No...this allows me to make the L1 go in to feed mode from my Apex.

As for calibration... for Feed Mode to work on the Vectra, you have to have it calibrated. When I upgraded the L1 firmware to work with Mobius, I couldn't get it to calibrate with Mobius, so I had to do it manually.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 24 53.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back