Apex DOS container issue

TAHK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New user here. Working through the Apex system. Well, another small setback, but an annoying one. Connected the Apex DOS and container, calibrated the whole thing. Added B-ionic and set up the dosing schedule. The system diligently started counting down the volume of the additive remaining. Ca++ is going up, alkalinity didn’t budge. Increased the dose, still the same trend. Two days later looked at the containers and they are still full! The issue is in the connection between the tubing and the DOS containers. It is not water/air tight. The pumps work and draw fluid from the containers when the tubing is submerged in fluid. Anyone dealt with it before? Or did I just buy 200 dollar plastic bottle?
Any constructive advice is much appreciated.

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may sound stupid, but are you sure that the tube is pushed in all the way? On those push connect fittings sometimes it feels like the tube is all the way in when it’s not and if you push harder you can get another millimeter of movement, which is needed to make sure it’s sealed.

If that’s not it, then what tubing are you using? Some tubing can be a slightly different diameter and it can be enough not to seal perfectly.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TAHK

TAHK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t sound stupid at all. Pushed it hard. Several times, trimmed the ends a couple of times. If I push REALLY hard I create enough seal to draw fluid out. The moment I let go the seal breaks. The tubing is the one that came with the system from APEX, so it should fit appropriately. I am afraid to push harder for fear of breaking the container. As I mentioned above, pushed REALLY hard with the tubing aligned to the hole.

Upvote 0

LosReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t sound stupid at all. Pushed it hard. Several times, trimmed the ends a couple of times. If I push REALLY hard I create enough seal to draw fluid out. The moment I let go the seal breaks. The tubing is the one that came with the system from APEX, so it should fit appropriately. I am afraid to push harder for fear of breaking the container. As I mentioned above, pushed REALLY hard with the tubing aligned to the hole.Aft

Doesn’t sound stupid at all. Pushed it hard. Several times, trimmed the ends a couple of times. If I push REALLY hard I create enough seal to draw fluid out. The moment I let go the seal breaks. The tubing is the one that came with the system from APEX, so it should fit appropriately. I am afraid to push harder for fear of breaking the container. As I mentioned above, pushed REALLY hard with the tubing aligned to the hole.
Depending on the length of your tubing to your sump, it might take a bit. Did you press and hold the button on the doser until you see something come out? That'll ensure everything is connected properly.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TAHK

TAHK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I did. The pumps work and prime well. My son and I spent a bit of time experimenting with it. Clearly the connection issue, unfortunately. I was just hoping for the tip like “warm the tubing before putting it in”, or something of that nature. Tried cutting it a slight angle - same result.

Upvote 0

LosReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New user here. Working through the Apex system. Well, another small setback, but an annoying one. Connected the Apex DOS and container, calibrated the whole thing. Added B-ionic and set up the dosing schedule. The system diligently started counting down the volume of the additive remaining. Ca++ is going up, alkalinity didn’t budge. Increased the dose, still the same trend. Two days later looked at the containers and they are still full! The issue is in the connection between the tubing and the DOS containers. It is not water/air tight. The pumps work and draw fluid from the containers when the tubing is submerged in fluid. Anyone dealt with it before? Or did I just buy 200 dollar plastic bottle?
Any constructive advice is much appreciated.
This might help.

Upvote 0

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I did. The pumps work and prime well. My son and I spent a bit of time experimenting with it. Clearly the connection issue, unfortunately. I was just hoping for the tip like “warm the tubing before putting it in”, or something of that nature. Tried cutting it a slight angle - same result.

I think cutting it at an angle would make it worse. It need to sit flat in the connector to seal properly. I’d go ahead and send an email to [email protected] or fill out the support request form on their website. They are usually pretty responsive and I would expect a reply tomorrow.

Upvote 0

LosReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah. I had to slide the sleeves on the tube and then heat with a lighter to get a good fit on the dose.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TAHK

TAHK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. The connectors on the pump are easy. It is the connectors on the container that give me trouble....

Upvote 0

jonmos75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TAHK, I am sorry to hear about this issue you are having with the DDR container fittings. Please send in a support ticket and they will take care of this for you.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TAHK

TAHK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, @jonmos75. I just submitted the ticket. I bought that system a little while ago, but just getting to set it up on my new aquarium and going through a learning curve...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TAHK

TAHK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think cutting it at an angle would make it worse. It need to sit flat in the connector to seal properly. I’d go ahead and send an email to [email protected] or fill out the support request form on their website. They are usually pretty responsive and I would expect a reply tomorrow.
Just submitted. Good idea!

Upvote 0

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let us know how this goes. I've had one of these for years, and I've had nothing but trouble with that connection pulling in air bubbles. I don't know why they used such bad connectors on it. The pump ones are great.

Eventually I tested about 20 different types of RO/Acrylic/Airline/Silicone tubing and found a plastic one that sealed well, then I used a large silicone tube to connect a short section of that tube to the Neptune DOS tube and it worked well.

BUT! I lost my little adapters in the move :(
And I have no idea exactly what kind of plastic tube that was because it was just in a bin at an LFS. I'd love to stop all these air bubbles in my trident tubes again.

Whiskey

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TAHK

TAHK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let us know how this goes. I've had one of these for years, and I've had nothing but trouble with that connection pulling in air bubbles. I don't know why they used such bad connectors on it. The pump ones are great.

Eventually I tested about 20 different types of RO/Acrylic/Airline/Silicone tubing and found a plastic one that sealed well, then I used a large silicone tube to connect a short section of that tube to the Neptune DOS tube and it worked well.

BUT! I lost my little adapters in the move :(
And I have no idea exactly what kind of plastic tube that was because it was just in a bin at an LFS. I'd love to stop all these air bubbles in my trident tubes again.

Whiskey
Will do. Let’s see what folks at the support center say. I will post their reply.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TAHK

TAHK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Thank you very much to everyone who tried to help. I contacted Neptune customer service. Have received response the same day. Sent them the proof of purchase and they sent me replacement attachments. All took less than 24 hours. The new tubes arrived yesterday. Took the old ones out of the DDR, put new ones in and re-primed the pump. Problem solved. AWESOME JOB NEPTUNE! Another satisfied customer.

Upvote 0
Back