Apex Jr. Questions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fam, I got a quick question... or a coupe really. I am in the process if setting up a 29 gallon nano reef and I am think about finally jumping into the apex world. However I have no idea how it works or what I need to purchase. The main thing I'm wanting to so with the apex is control my maxspect gyre, my finnex heater, my lights and also monitor my temp, ph, and salinity. I have become accustomed to checking my parameters the old school way but these few thing I would like to be able to see on a regular basis. When I was looking so purchasing the apex I didn't know what all I needed. Once I get the Apex Jr. do i need to purchase the module for every probe I want to use or do I just need the probe to it into the system itself? Sorry to sound like a complete noob here but I have to do my due diligence when researching my equipment... especially when I have no idea what I'm getting into. So can someone please give me pointers? Maybe a quick rundown of what I need to purchase to make it work properly and some tips on how to use it? I really would appreciate it guys.. thanks in advance.

Dont mind the typos in here if I have any, it's past my bedtime and my wife is starting to give me the evil look while I'm typing this.. lol

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to buy the regular apex if you are wanting to monitor ph, salinity. With the junior you will need to buy a module and and the probe for each feature. Also you are much more limited in total modules you can add.

OP
OP
Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, but isnt there like a 500 buck difference in the two systems? I thought the bigger system was designed for the larger tanks. I will look into that in the morning when I get to work. It is good to know that I would have to buy every individual module on the Jr. though. Would it be a bank breaker to by the two needed modules? Also how much more stuff can you hook up the the full size version? Thanks for your reply btw

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex jr caps out at 7 modules. Regular apex 240 modules. You can find alot of it used on here. They have the 2016 model, the apex classic and the apex junior. The classic is $599 new but you can probaly find it cheaper here. I am selling my apex jr if you decide to go that route but I think you should consider apex classic

Jlentz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to do salinity it's cheaper to just get the gold package. The extra modules and probes add up quickly.

I think there is a module limitation on the jr as well. Something like a max of 6 modules.

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please go with the classic model. If you already have in mind using the apex to monitor and control your above list. You will quickly out grow the Jr. I went the Jr route and moved to the classic.

aquariumspecialtyDane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely recommend the Neptune Apex Classic over the Jr. The Jr only has a energy bar 4 which only has 4 plug ins. On most reef tanks, even nano tanks. You are going to use more than 4 if not closer to 8. 8 Is what comes with the Apex classic. It also comes with the Temp probe, Ph probe. As for the salinity you are going to have to get a few extra pieces and another probe to read that or conductivity. The same would be with the Apex Jr. Without a doubt I would definitely go with the Apex Classic. It is a far superior product that you will enjoy. Also if you decide one day down the road that you would like to upgrade, the larger apex will come in very handy. If you have any question just give us a call. We would be glad to help you out. My name is Dane and I have used apex for over 7 years. Definitely don't know it all but feel like I could answer your questions.

Thanks
Dane Odom (803)788-5990
www.aquariumspecialty.com

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reef tank fan. I'm from Winnsboro SC. By the way Dane is a great guy, at Aqurium Specility who really knows his stuff. If you get a chance to go by there stop in and say hello.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%

Back