Apraxia? Please help

GiannisK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered some snails from Reef Cleaners, they arrived on Thursday. Today I noticed these little things on one of the snails’ shells- are these tiny aptasia? Or something else? Thanks!

OP
OP
GiannisK

GiannisK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either a pest anemone or colonial hydroids - you probably don’t want either.
Thanks for your reply. Is there any way to get them off the snail without killing it? Do you think it’s worth a try? The snail has only been in the tank for a day, is it likely they've already spread?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any way to get them off the snail without killing it? Do you think it’s worth a try?
Absolutely- the recommendation I typically see for this is to pull the snail out in a bowl of tank water; from there you remove the ones you can (scrape them off with something carefully) and then scrub the shell with a toothbrush.

If you want to be extra certain they’re gone, you can very carefully clean the shell with a Q-tip and something like hydrogen peroxide, but you’d need to be really careful not to get it on the snail itself, and you’d want to rinse the shell off after with more saltwater.

OP
OP
GiannisK

GiannisK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely- the recommendation I typically see for this is to pull the snail out in a bowl of tank water; from there you remove the ones you can (scrape them off with something carefully) and then scrub the shell with a toothbrush.

If you want to be extra certain they’re gone, you can very carefully clean the shell with a Q-tip and something like hydrogen peroxide, but you’d need to be really careful not to get it on the snail itself, and you’d want to rinse the shell off after with more saltwater.
Ok, I’ll do that immediately, thank you!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 105 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back