Aquacultured Yellow Tangs!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So cool!

Ok_cowboy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang I so want one, but my tank is not ready yet I'm afraid! I just added two clowns(first fish) Tuesday

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, are they still having issues with HLLE? Looks like they may be still.

Ok_cowboy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering one. I'm new to the reefin hobby so what's the difference. Yours are beautiful, but I seen close to same for 1/3 the price. I'm not trying to be rude, just learning.

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part of aquaculture is having them bred and not taking from the ocean, ur asking 150 for a fish that you can get from other suppliers from the ocean for like 30$. How is this helping the ocean? People are going to get the cheaper one over yours and take from the ocean, part of breeding the fish is more supply.....so the cost should go down...not trying to be rude or anything but 149 is a steep steep price for a yellow tang that u can get at a petco for 30$....yeah different care and all but there are others that sell them for no more than 50$

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Part of aquaculture is having them bred and not taking from the ocean, ur asking 150 for a fish that you can get from other suppliers from the ocean for like 30$. How is this helping the ocean? People are going to get the cheaper one over yours and take from the ocean, part of breeding the fish is more supply.....so the cost should go down...not trying to be rude or anything but 149 is a steep steep price for a yellow tang that u can get at a petco for 30$....yeah different care and all but there are others that sell them for no more than 50$
Some aquacultured fish are more expensive than wild caught. Banggai Cardinals and these Yellow Tangs are two examples. The 149$ is steep, but if I'm not mistaken aquacultured yellow tangs are still relatively new. The price may go down further in the years to come are more people become capable of breeding them in captivity and distribution becomes less of a hassle. You might not think 150$ is worth it, but you're not accounting for the intrinsic value of sustainability. There are most certainly people in this hobby who will buy an aquacultured yellow tang specifically because it was not removed from the ocean.
Yes they were aquaculture
Really? Are you sure someone wasn't lying to you? I've had someone at a typical LFS say that 90% of the fish they sell are aquacultured (obviously a lie), so I'm not calling you a liar, but I'm saying its entirely possible you were told one.

Ok_cowboy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No no I'm not saying the ones for 1/3 of the price was aquaculture, I have no clue on that! To me a yellow tang is a yellow tang whether it come from the ocean or a lab!

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some aquacultured fish are more expensive than wild caught. Banggai Cardinals and these Yellow Tangs are two examples. The 149$ is steep, but if I'm not mistaken aquacultured yellow tangs are still relatively new. The price may go down further in the years to come are more people become capable of breeding them in captivity and distribution becomes less of a hassle. You might not think 150$ is worth it, but you're not accounting for the intrinsic value of sustainability. There are most certainly people in this hobby who will buy an aquacultured yellow tang specifically because it was not removed from the ocean.

Really? Are you sure someone wasn't lying to you? I've had someone at a typical LFS say that 90% of the fish they sell are aquacultured (obviously a lie), so I'm not calling you a liar, but I'm saying its entirely possible you were told one.
I agree there are people that would but 150 is steep for me at least...I can buy a used skimmer for that price....I don't get paid a lot in South Dakota so money is one of my priorities...paying the bills, staying alive...lol. if I know I can raise our keep a yellow tang, I personally would buy the 50$ one because I know it's one fish that wool survive and thrive amd won't have to buy another one.
But either way, good luck with sale! I hippie you get them nice homes. I agree with aquaculture bred fish!

Dgilpin22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquacultured yellow tangs were literally just released. Maybe a month or so ago. This was a research project 5 years in the making at an institute on one of the islands. These are the first of there kind. The very FIRST ever aquacultured yellow tang. Do you ever realize the costs that were involved in this project? And you are saying $150 is steep? I really don't mean to offend anyone but you are insane if you think this price is unfair. Not only is an aquacultured species of fish more disease resistant, it also is going to be able to withstand the parameters of an aquarium with an exponential increase overtime. Why do you think aquacultured clowns do so well? Do you remember the price of the first aquacultured clown? How about the price of designer clowns (aquacultured)? The first of anything is going to be "steep". Everything involved in this hobby is steep. If paying your bills and staying alive is more of a priority, you are in the wrong hobby unfortunately. This hobby is a money pit. A sweet, sweet, glorious money pit, but a money pit none the less. Yes, the goal of aquacultured is to save our oceans. We live in a capitalist world where supply and demand rule all. As this fish becomes more readily available and the breeding process becomes more efficient, you will see the price drop. Just as LCD tvs used to be near 5k and now you can find one new for a couple hundred.

Also, you asked how is this pricing saving the ocean. If you are buying your fish at big box stores (petco, uncle bills, petsmart, etc.) you are doing more damage to the ocean than you know. Look up how they buy their fish and the policies involved. Such companies have been caught buying from puppy mills. You think their morale compass is pointed at the ocean?

Ok_cowboy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I wanted to know was the difference between aquaculture and non and price difference, sorry.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back