AquaFX Moving Sale!! 20% OFF ALL SYSTEMS

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

AquaFX

AquaFX
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys and Gals! In order to better serve our customers we are moving to a bigger location! To lighten the load we are moving out inventory and passing the savings on to you! Just go to http://www.aquariumwaterfilters.com and use code FebSale20 at checkout! This sale applies to ALL RO and RO DI systems from AquaFX!

OP
OP
AquaFX

AquaFX

AquaFX
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We can build any system with a 1 to 1 ratio. I will attach an article i wrote to help clear up some of the confusion;
The following is a little information to help you decide if you want to change your Reverse Osmosis (RO) waste ratio. Membranes work by splitting the incoming water stream into a permeate and a concentrate stream; commonly known as the good water and the wastewater. The Concentrate stream is just what it sounds like. It carries the great majority of TDS to drain. This stream is also “rinsing” the membrane at the same time. The flow of the concentrate stream is designed to be higher than the permeate. It is this split we are here to discuss.

The average residential RO system is manufactured with a standard flow restrictor, producing a 4 to 5 parts waste stream to a 1 part product stream. Many people find this objectionable; due to conservation concerns and/or water shortages. Consumers often ask if they can cut down on this waste stream; the answer is YES……BUT there is a cost. The cost is membrane life. The “waste” stream is an integral part of the process, carrying dissolved solids out and off the membrane; this is part of the design.

The most common dissolved solid in tap water is calcium. As Calcium drops out of solution, it will scale the membrane a little at a time. The high volume “waste stream” takes a good deal of scale to drain. When we cut back on the volume and flow rate of the waste stream, membrane deposits build up quicker. The average membrane life is 3 to 5 years; membrane life can drop to as low as several months when the waste stream is severally reduced. Membrane life can still take a backseat when the availability of water is of a major concern.

Using softened water extends membrane life. This includes naturally soft or salt softened water. If your feed water is softened, meaning the calcium has been replaced with a non-scaling salt, you can send less water to waste. When softening with sodium you end up with deposits that dissolve rather than scales. So a small amount of flushing can dislodge some of the buildup, extending membrane life, while still reducing waste water.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back