Aquarium lid = Yes or No?

Arcticfirefighter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a generic lid on my 36 Bow now with stock starter lights; however, I was going to move to upgraded LED lights soon and they wont work with current hood. So what do people use on a bow front with after market lights? I see some that are just kept open, others have some sort of hinged glass over them, and some have screen? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

OP
OP
Arcticfirefighter

Arcticfirefighter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so glass is no longer in the running. If I go with a screen I will have to have it customized because my tank is not drilled. I have the cords from my powerheads, heater, and thermometer that need to come out. I also have a HOB skimmer that needs about 3 1/2 × 3 1/2 as well. There is one for sale on BRS, just not sure how custom you can make it outside of the 4 corners for a regular tank. The only concern I have with going topless [emoji16] is I have read the horror stories of people coming home to dead fish on the floor. I would also have to fight my labrador for it if he saw it first... [emoji240]

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with all of the above :) screen or open top is going to help tremendously with gas exchange and keep your tank cool with evaporative cooling:)

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You definitely want to have a screen of some sort. Have you ever been to a fish store and looked behind their tanks? Specially those with 40 gallon breeders and no tank covers? Wrasse are notorious for jumping as well as others like clown fish. Heck any fish can get chased and jump out of the tank trying to save his bacon only to hit the floor and wish that it had just took the beating instead of running.

GoPitt88

Pitt Basketball is BACK!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely agree with screen top for gas exchange while keeping the fish from jumping. While I don't have a bow front, I use an HOB filter and HOB skimmer, so I custom made a screen top using a kit purchased on Bulk Reef Supply, online. Though I do have to admit that I'm not sure what you can do with your bow front. That adds a level of difficulty [emoji53]

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always run glass tops and have had no issue with oxygenating the water. The biggest concern for me is heat. If any tanks run above 80F I replace some glass covers with screens. Skimmer is more than enough to oxygenating all of my tanks.

GoPitt88

Pitt Basketball is BACK!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always run glass tops and have had no issue with oxygenating the water. The biggest concern for me is heat. If any tanks run above 80F I replace some glass covers with screens. Skimmer is more than enough to oxygenating all of my tanks.

Gas exchange is more than just oxygenating the water, it's also about CO2 export, and as you mentioned, evaporation to maintain a constant temperature. The amount of CO2 in the water will affect the ph. I just think having a screen top increases the overall stability of the water parameters. Just saying [emoji16]

Paul J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screen top overall the better idea. But watch out and make sure your tank water does not drip off the aluminum frame of the screen top frame!
I'm seeing the paint/covering coming off the frame.

Florida Sunshine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely screen top. There is a company that makes custom screen tops with clear acrylic edges who would be able to accommodate the bowfront and access for all of your cords and such but they are a bit pricey. It is Artfully Acrylic and they are a sponsor so check their stuff out.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
speaking of bow fronts,, I bet somebody could come up with something using a 3 d printer. Like a curving window screen .Might even make a buck selling to the aquarium trade.

Last edited:

Annie Diaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 36 bowfront from aqueon and I’m using the Current USA Orbit Marine IC LED and it fits perfectly. I will be purchasing a glass top lid from aqueon that perfectly fits for the bowfront, and it has holes that can be popped in the back for any hob filters, skimmers, cords, etc.
The light fits great on the factory lid, I’m just buying the glass for aesthetic purposes plus my lid cracked off. WHoops.
JMO. Hope whatever you choose works out for you :)

OP
OP
Arcticfirefighter

Arcticfirefighter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 36 bowfront from aqueon and I’m using the Current USA Orbit Marine IC LED and it fits perfectly. I will be purchasing a glass top lid from aqueon that perfectly fits for the bowfront, and it has holes that can be popped in the back for any hob filters, skimmers, cords, etc.
The light fits great on the factory lid, I’m just buying the glass for aesthetic purposes plus my lid cracked off. WHoops.
JMO. Hope whatever you choose works out for you :)
I wanted to use that glass lid as well; however, I have a 3 inch deep in tank skimmer and that vinyl strip on the back is only 2 inches deep. That lid would have been perfect... It would have been great to keep the evaporation down, but right now I am stuck with what I have. I do like the lights you are running, do they get good coverage all the way down?

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass tops aren't as evil as some people make them out to be... but you've got salt creep and mineral deposits that need to be cleaned regularly, and it does reduce the gas exchange. If you've got a skimmer, it won't matter... plenty of gas exchange in a skimmer. Glass isn't my choice, but it's not a bad way to go.

Screen tops are great.. keep the fish in, don't need more than a freshwater rinse every once in a while, allow for full gas exchange... but they look like crap. There are a couple of vendors selling some real nice looking screen tops, (artfully acrylic, for one), but they're EXPENSIVE. The DIY kits, I just don't like the look. You're running a canopy, or even a rimmed tank, where the screen top is either covered, or at least sitting in a molded in track... looks like it belongs, fine. Rimless tank? Just looks bad.

My tank is wide, fat, and low. Thick beveled and polished glass edges, rimless... I don't want a top. Any top. Certainly not an ugly one :)

Open top means researching the fishes you select carefully. Wrasses are a no no... as are most long, thin fishes. Dartfish, dottybacks, basslets... all are a fairly major risk. Even if you do carefully select your fishes, you can still have one jump. I lost an Ocellaris clown... not a fish commonly known for jumping. It can happen with ANY fish. A very peaceful environment, with as little aggression between fishes as you can manage, helps. Oh, I loose a snail once in a while, too... ends up on the outside glass, all dried up.

IMHO, if your tank has the 'open' look, an open top is worth it... It's a hobby. If you're not going to be happy with the look of your tank, why bother?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 66 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.9%
Back