Aquascape on 200G tank

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this live rock from Fiji in a stock tank in the basement for about 2.5 yrs, feeding every couple weeks and doing water changes like every 2-3 months. This was "Premium Fiji" air freighted in just before the ban on live rock exports. Took me a while longer than expected to get plumbing done and everything else set (like 2 years longer, but you know, life).

image by Peter Young, on Flickr

after 2.5 years the color and life has pretty much disappeared since I didn't have any light on it, but it's still beautiful rock with lots of holes and crevices. Super light.

Getting prepped
Untitled by Peter Young, on Flickr

My plan was to build up as much as possible on the table in front of the tank to get a feel for the base rocks, then move it into the tank, glue it together and finish. I was spraying with salt water every 30 min or so to try and keep die off to a minimum.

by Peter Young, on Flickr

Of course as soon as i started to move into the tank, nothing went back together the way I remembered so basically did it all over again. Luckily my wife is an artist, with a great feel for rule of thirds etc and endless patience. Couldn't have done it without her.

Untitled by Peter Young, on Flickr

Pretty pleased with the way it turned out.

Got the 250G of saltwater on it by the end of the evening and everything is cooking along. Been dropping silversides in and still haven't seen any ammonia or Nitrites.

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2.5 years that's dedication lol
Scape looks wicked
Well, if I told you what that rock cost you'd understand :rolleyes:, really sad seeing what that rock looked like when I got it compared to now, but it will grow. I ended up with about 50 lbs left over.....

That scape is beautiful!
Thanks, it was really intimidating. I've been ready for about a month, but didn't want to pull the trigger. Took a whole day to pull the rock out of the stock tank, transfer to Brutes, get upstairs, lay it all out, then the fun began...........

lavoisier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the two islands (I did the same). Just a thought, you might want to raise or lower the height of one island to reach that Golden Ratio of 5::3...but I do like what you have done. :)

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the two islands (I did the same). Just a thought, you might want to raise or lower the height of one island to reach that Golden Ratio of 5::3...but I do like what you have done. :)
Yeah, I'm thinking about that (I have about 15 lbs in the refugium in case I want to add. The angle of the pic is a little deceptive, the right peak is about 4" higher, but it could maybe stand another couple inches. Honestly, I was so ready to be done I just quit messing with it.

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been fiddling around and added a little height to the right side (just one rock really) and like it even better.
IMG_4749.jpg

IMG_4750.jpg

IMG_4751.jpg

IMG_4752.jpg

Little bit of rock left over :rolleyes:
IMG_4720.jpg

IMG_4721.jpg

Crazy how light and porous this stuff is.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back