Aquascape opinions

Asm481

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you have enough room left and right to scrape the glass. I usually get a tank looking good then realize my mag scraper won't fit! Also where you have that Monti is going to shade everything under it. I usually put them lower and the still grow like mad.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the other posts, looks terrific except for the right side but an easy fix with a couple rocks. Think about how many fish you plan to have and each of them needs a cave home for overnight when lights are out so place rocks accordingly to accommodate your aquatic friends.

OP
OP
Sbk89

Sbk89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you have enough room left and right to scrape the glass. I usually get a tank looking good then realize my mag scraper won't fit! Also where you have that Monti is going to shade everything under it. I usually put them lower and the still grow like mad.
I have ONE spot that I cant get to easily but the scraper can. The rest has a good amount of space. I learned from my last tank where my Flipper would get stuck on the rocks and I would have to fish it out lol.

Tbh the monti was a free frag that I'm using to see how well it does in my tank. I only put a little bit of glue so I can just snap off. There's someone with nice grafted montis that I want to get once I feel good about my tank. I'll probably put it more in the middle or further back on that rock and just continuously frag (hoping it will grow layers like the mother colony and stay round).

How low are your montis? I like the look in some tanks where they are just growing on multiple layers but I feel like that could take up too much room.

OP
OP
Sbk89

Sbk89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the other posts, looks terrific except for the right side but an easy fix with a couple rocks. Think about how many fish you plan to have and each of them needs a cave home for overnight when lights are out so place rocks accordingly to accommodate your aquatic friends.

Yeah I was hoping there are enough caves on the left structure to accommodate for that and mostly use the right side to grow out colonies (since the flat rocks are almost like frag racks lol). But I think adding a couple rocks would make the overall structure look nicer and provide more hiding spots. I can just add coral on top of those rocks so I'm not losing a ton of space.

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquascaping is an art you're obviously really into it and you've done a fabulous job. Take a look at the golden ratio and the rule of thirds in aquascaping. When I first set up my skate I was actually taking pictures of it and overlaying the golden ratio. An easier way to do it is with some painters tape dividing the aquarium up to identify your focal points and places where you might be a little heavy or a little light in your scape

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your scape is awesome. It just needs a little tweaking
golden-ratio (3).png

golden-ratio (2).png

Screenshot_2024-01-14-13-52-35-09_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your focal points are the caves which is actually kind of cool because it draws your eyes in and creates a sense of depth. The next thing is to make sure following the golden ratio that your eyes flow around the tank based on putting rocks along the curved lines. When you look at your escape this way you can see what a great job you did just naturally. Just make those couple little changes and it's fabulous. Once you corals are in place and start to grow in those focal point areas your eye will travel in almost a figure eight pattern all across the skate looking at all of the pieces naturally.
golden-ratio (1).png

golden-ratio.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back