Aqueon ugh the stress begins

Kammetal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was having trouble getting my new Aqueon 120 level. The top black rim of the aquarium is unlevel on the right side. I was puzzled wondering what could be the issue. Seems when they installed it they didn’t press down hard enough or what ever the issue may have been. To top it off the front peice of glass sticks out to the right a bit on the bottom when it meets the side panel. I measured the water levels from front to back on the side and they were the same. I measured the brace and discovered it was unlevel. Should I take the tank down? I just don’t want this exploding up here on the third floor. Thanks for your help in advance btw I contacted Aqueon

62c6404cee5a779a7553660563047ac4.jpg
c5cf5428e130c9a3f7f4e69fd1d12932.jpg
ed9a76647b66897b7ef9e18ef55c5070.jpg
d028a947a2f61444bc3f3a1fa0c40379.jpg
90aa1181b1182b29aee978a2de141204.jpg
c316655ed5f61c5f189545eda0a325c9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't look like structural issues to me; sloppy though.

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect it is just the trim piece that is not quite siliconed perfectly level. This should be a non-issue, as the trim piece is still supporting the glass panes. However, I guess there could be a possibility that the glass panes weren't quite siliconed perfectly square or one side piece is ever so slightly higher than the other. I think this is less likely than the first scenario. Either way, I'm not sure it would compromise the tank in any way. I'd only be concerned if the sides weren't plumb / perpendicular

OP
OP
Kammetal

Kammetal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres another video for clarity this was taken from the right side and is the right panel meeting thee from panel(left)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an aqueon 90 and thought my floor was crooked, the trim is the same as yours. Luckily the water level just gets up to the trim so the imbalance can't be seen, The other issues as stated above doesn't seem to be structurally compromising. I just think that's the quality you get from aqueon tanks, that's why they are cheap.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How out of level is it? When optional try to avoid putting a level on the trim as the silicone between glass and plastic aren’t always flattened enough.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a level on the inside across the bottom panel as I have seen a few tanks built out of square like the sides will say one thing but the top will say an other. The truth is in the foundation

OP
OP
Kammetal

Kammetal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How out of level is it? When optional try to avoid putting a level on the trim as the silicone between glass and plastic aren’t always flattened enough.

Thanks for the reply I’d say it’s off level by 1/16 to 1/8th just makes it hard to level. It is especially hard when trying to level the middle of the tank now that I can only go off the bottom trim.

This issue with the previous issue I had. I found a clamshell chip on one of the corners. It doesn’t go deep but makes me really nervous debating on taking it down.
This is not from side right
9898f434a131e0d06357b221edf9960e.jpg

This is the left panel here’s where it shows it does not go that deep
d5c68ed260bdca4966a1b18d05c10407.jpg

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Front left side of tank
6586744a1e44097406a2f5bec97fd6e2.jpg

This is the left side looking on how deep the chip goes

3c5ddae70b253e87b3e11f0c33cade06.jpg
Ouch sorry to see this. The clam shape shows a clean chip and it’s on the outside. It’s uncomforting seeing that gouge on the edge in the second pic I would sand that with a 220 grit or more to make it blend in and clean it to double check for stress cracks but I don’t think the location is cause for alarm being that it is on the outside and behind silicone is better then mine haha mine is right up front clear as day
image.jpg

image.jpg

OP
OP
Kammetal

Kammetal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch sorry to see this. The clam shape shows a clean chip and it’s on the outside. It’s uncomforting seeing that gouge on the edge in the second pic I would sand that with a 220 grit or more to make it blend in and clean it to double check for stress cracks but I don’t think the location is cause for alarm being that it is on the outside and behind silicone is better then mine haha mine is right up front clear as day
image.jpg

image.jpg

Ya I can deal with the aesthetics bit worried about the strength man o man one worry after another. I just am worrying because I’m on the third floor of a concrete condo

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I can deal with the aesthetics bit worried about the strength man o man one worry after another. I just am worrying because I’m on the third floor of a concrete condo
Yea as would I but I’m daring haha that’s the only problem with my advice I only advise what I would do or done but I do try to push the limits often to learn more. I do work with glass professionally proudly and even bring the stuff home for projects like sumps,lids, stands,media baskets.. I can tell you with confidence that I would be worried about that EXACT chip for like a day and then Ill wonder if the caulking would fail randomly and so on and so forth. Everyone has a price they pay for peace of mind and sometimes it’s a new tank other times it’s a water test on the third floor haha sometimes the answer is obvious and sometimes you gotta rely on your gut or pay for piece of mind

OP
OP
Kammetal

Kammetal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea as would I but I’m daring haha that’s the only problem with my advice I only advise what I would do or done but I do try to push the limits often to learn more. I do work with glass professionally proudly and even bring the stuff home for projects like sumps,lids, stands,media baskets.. I can tell you with confidence that I would be worried about that EXACT chip for like a day and then Ill wonder if the caulking would fail randomly and so on and so forth. Everyone has a price they pay for peace of mind and sometimes it’s a new tank other times it’s a water test on the third floor haha sometimes the answer is obvious and sometimes you gotta rely on your gut or pay for piece of mind

So what you are trying to say is I may be over worrying lol?

OP
OP
Kammetal

Kammetal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loki got ya. What would you do would you take it down or leave it filled? My brothers a glazer also but he won’t be able to come til Monday

Back