Are all T5 lamps the same, and if not, what questions to ask?

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the market for a t5 lamp fixture. Don't really want to buy new as there are so many used options out there.

1661546237325.png

This is the best deal I have found so far. What type of questions do I ask ? I don't see the dude has a tank or corals, but am sure the t5 lamp has .....other.... uses lol.

Is this something I should look into further, or am I missing out on something? Like wattage, power output, types of bulbs, etc..
Thank you all

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BRS has some helpful youtube videos on T5 lighting. Although many (if not most) people have moved on to LEDs, one approach would be to get a multi-light fixture (they can be found on Amazon in the $100 range) and then add ATI bulbs (sold at BRS, Amazon, etc.). The ATI blue plus is a popular bulb, but you need to find the bulb mixture that works for you and what you're keeping. You will quickly find that the bulbs can be more expensive than the fixture. Good luck with whatever you choose!

OP
OP
ilikefish69

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS has some helpful youtube videos on T5 lighting. Although many (if not most) people have moved on to LEDs, one approach would be to get a multi-light fixture (they can be found on Amazon in the $100 range) and then add ATI bulbs (sold at BRS, Amazon, etc.). The ATI blue plus is a popular bulb, but you need to find the bulb mixture that works for you and what you're keeping. You will quickly find that the bulbs can be more expensive than the fixture. Good luck with whatever you choose!
Oh ive got 2 blue plus and 2 other bulbs arriving from BRS. Also 3 orphek or3 but now with a 90g i feel like i need some more light tonreach the bottom. Gonna grab them and see what happens

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I'd invest in an ATI fixture. It has very good reflectors and cooling. What you shared looks more like something someone would light their garage with.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I'd invest in an ATI fixture. It has very good reflectors and cooling. What you shared looks more like something someone would light their garage with.
Yeah, I'd at least spring for a 'grow' light fixture If your trying to keep it on the cheap, the garage special is cheap for a reason. As I put out in your other thread (you got a few on the same subject), cooling is a big deal with the life of the bulb, so remember that with whatever you buy. Whether you cool actively or passively, bulb life dramatically goes down without cooling.

I'm a hard meh on the NEW cost of a ATI fixture, but I wouldn't pass on a good deal for one.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
T5s come down to 4 things

1) Good bulbs
1) Proper cooling
1) Good reflectors
1) Proper ballasts

All are labeled #1 for a reason. Skimp on any part and you have a less then ideal setup.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back