Are copepods phyto roti worth adding?

Backwoods Reefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a coral grow out system is it worth adding copepods roti and phyto to a 500gal system?

Not talking about the fish.

Just curious if it will help coral growth and health enough to justify seeding the system . Was considering a bulk buy on some of these . Any companies sell in bulk or do i juat buy multipul small batches

LiveWire

Master Electrician/Certified RODI Guru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO they are very beneficial. If you have the room I would recommend culturing them both yourself as they are fairly easy to do and all you need is some space and time. The copepods feed the corals and small fish in the system and the phyto will feed the copepods as well as any corals and any filter feeders that you may have in the system.

OP
OP
Backwoods Reefs

Backwoods Reefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess i was more asking if it would be pointless for a small amount added?

300 main display 220 sump (100gal in it)
7ftx3ft frag flat.

OP
OP
Backwoods Reefs

Backwoods Reefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO they are very beneficial. If you have the room I would recommend culturing them both yourself as they are fairly easy to do and all you need is some space and time. The copepods feed the corals and small fish in the system and the phyto will feed the copepods as well as any corals and any filter feeders that you may have in the system.
Any info on culturing pods and phyto? Im very interested in doing so sounds like a fun project

OP
OP
Backwoods Reefs

Backwoods Reefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We supply bulk ;). @LiveWire is spot on.

If you add too few, it can seed, but the chances drop drastically. If their are just too few copepods for them to find each other, you won't get the tank seeded.

Can i pm you . Would you help me out with a bulk order of each and do you guys sell a kit so i can culture my own to keep up with demands after i seed?

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can i pm you . Would you help me out with a bulk order of each and do you guys sell a kit so i can culture my own to keep up with demands after i seed?

Sure thing with the pm. Bulk of each is fine, and we can give you some guidelines for culturing (can't tell you all of the trade secrets), but we can get you going.

LiveWire

Master Electrician/Certified RODI Guru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We supply bulk ;). @LiveWire is spot on.

If you add too few, it can seed, but the chances drop drastically. If their are just too few copepods for them to find each other, you won't get the tank seeded.

I have gotten many Copepods and gallons of Algae from @AlgaeBarn Over the years. Their products are great and customer service is amazing. They are my go to when I have cultures crash or need a booster. Still hoping to see Ampipods on their future stock lists!

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agree with @AlgaeBarn that too few and they won’t be able to reproduce if they can’t... ya know. I have also been waiting on some amphipods from them! The other sources seem kinda shady

We are planning on getting some amphipods going in Q3 this year. Hoping to release them in Q4, but they don't breed nearly as fast as copepods. As for the delay in getting them going, we are getting some engineering drawings quoted right now to (almost) entirely automate our copepod production. This is going to feed into (quite literally) some of our other projects that will be coming down the pipeline.

ectoaesthetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is interesting that in the hobby we almost never use live rotifers to feed corals. However there are plenty of articles on google scholar from labs showing higher survival rates in coral starts as well as higher resiliency in corals that are fed live rotifers. I don't get why more people don't grow them. They are not hard to cultivate.

ectoaesthetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is interesting that in the hobby we almost never use live rotifers to feed corals. However there are plenty of articles on google scholar from labs showing higher survival rates in coral starts as well as higher resiliency in corals that are fed live rotifers. I don't get why more people don't grow them. They are not hard to cultivate.

ectoaesthetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ectoaesthetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lol easy on the submit button. But yea, they don't seem hard, but they create a rabbit hole. I cultured phyto and pods for a bit, it does require a time commitment. And space. And they aren't really pretty set ups. So you end up getting more equipment and sprawl out over an area that the spouse may or may not resent you for sprawling out in and making look bad.

willow659

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out pod your reef .com and
Reef nutrition here..
I know the first has tons of pods and is great. I’ve used them and they have really great reviews. Reef nutrition will do everything to help you and you can message straight through here and comes with high reviews.
Check reviews no matter who you use.

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have gotten many Copepods and gallons of Algae from @AlgaeBarn Over the years. Their products are great and customer service is amazing. They are my go to when I have cultures crash or need a booster. Still hoping to see Ampipods on their future stock lists!

The last time I ordered pods from AB for my Lagoon was probably over a year ago, and I still have a nice population of pods that explodes from time to time!

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the size of the mouth of the filter feeder as to what size zooplankton that coral feeds on. As a generalization, filter feeders will ingest zooplankton that are smaller than their mouth. In that respect, rotifers are better for corals than amphipod larvae.

In all cases, feeding phyto to your reef is a good thing.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are planning on getting some amphipods going in Q3 this year. Hoping to release them in Q4, but they don't breed nearly as fast as copepods. As for the delay in getting them going, we are getting some engineering drawings quoted right now to (almost) entirely automate our copepod production. This is going to feed into (quite literally) some of our other projects that will be coming down the pipeline.

What type of automation is going to boost reproductive rates: romantic music and cocktails?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
We are planning on getting some amphipods going in Q3 this year. Hoping to release them in Q4, but they don't breed nearly as fast as copepods.

Don't amphipods prey on copepods?
What would be the benefit to adding amphipods to your system?

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't amphipods prey on copepods?
What would be the benefit to adding amphipods to your system?

It’s not that simple. Within each species of amphipods & copepods they each have herbivores, detrivores and carnivores. Within the marine food chain, everybody is eaten, even apex predators.

Larger fish don’t bother with small food size like copepods, but will feast on amphipods.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 6.3%
Back