Are enclosed canopies more jump proof than mesh nets?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as I don’t forget to put it back on and close a canopy, will it be more jump proof for fish than mesh net? I was watching this channel called Inappropriate Reefer and the guy had very small fish like Yasha Gobies and a Red Ruby Dragonet make it through his mesh top. Will a canopy be completely sealed?

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am taking about this kind of stuff.

E3B6591C-4614-4C1E-A4D4-E1715F5422F6.png A8B52E8B-15F3-44FF-A307-3453089F3502.png

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A properly fitted net cover will be plenty unless of course the physical size of the fish you keep is below the mesh size.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a canopy on my FW tanks just to keep the light in. If you want 100% jump proof you need a custom hard lid like glass with exact cut outs for wires and overflow and such, nothing can fit through where there are 0 holes. Imo, the canopy is unnecessary but does provide some cover for the light so your whole room isn’t blue and a space to place all your tools and Knick knacks. Personally, I’d go with a very very fine mesh net cover just because it’s more minimalistic and can be altered easily should I need another hole for something. Kept a canopy on my old reef and I felt like it made the whole thing look a little squished like a subway sandwich between the canopy, tank, and stand, also made cleaning the glass and inside the tank maintenance a little harder. The light cover is pretty unbeatable though so I do like them for that

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice :) I’m looking into a top already. Have you had many fish jump to death?
So far I’ve only had 1 (ruby red dragonet) and it was on a rimless, lidless tank (I was asking for it). So far I’ve still got 3 rimless, lidless tanks but 0 jumpers after the one (he jumped the night I got him, musta gotten spooked). I do purposely choose fish not known for jumping and make sure my lights come on a ramp so they don’t spook the fish when turning on/ off

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pretty sure he was using 1/4" mesh and not 1/8". 1/4" allows for some tiny fish to sneak their heads in and then get stuck. 1/8" is about as safe as it gets

canopies can work if they're totally enclosed and the overflow is covered or external. most canopies i've seen aren't fully covered, tho

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use hinged glass lids on my tank instead of mesh, and have a canopy as well. The back few inches of the lid are made of soft plastic so I can trim or cut out openings if I need any. It seems that the glass lids help control evaporation and moisture build up in the canopy. You can also find some really nice plastic lids as well.

SAWFISH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that the mesh would do a better job of stopping the fish. There are a lot of places within the canopy that the fish could get stuck otherwise. Plus you could always forget to leave the canopy closed. The mesh should work great as long as you ensure your fish are all larger than the mesh size. I believe that BRS sells a number of different mesh sizes to ensure this is the case.

Also if you wanted you could probably always do a mesh with the canopy if you wanted to be super safe, or liked the looks of a canopy, but wanted the safety of a mesh

SAWFISH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. For mesh tops or glass tops, do you now any companies that can custom build high quality ones? Thanks. I am looking into getting both the canopy and a top.

I do not know of any companies that do private tops. If you have a rectangular tank BRS has relatively cheap kits to easily make a rectangular mesh for your tank. This will not work though if you have a bowfront or other custom shaped tank

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Octo Aquatics makes custom mesh tops. His acrylic work is superb.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 128 42.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 107 35.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 16.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back