Are Favia safe to have with soft corals?

Jared's Little Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to reach out and get your opinions on having LPS Favia specifically with soft corals Zoanthids.

I have heard a person mention that you can't have LPS with soft corals is this true or can they be in the same tank and just need to be separated/isolated on different sides of the tank?

I have my zoanthids on the rocks if I put 3-4 small frags of Favia on the sandbed would this cause any issues?

Aprod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should not have any issues unless they are within 1/2 inch of each other. Favia do get sweeper tentacles, but not terribly long. Zoa's are pretty hardy and I doubt they would have any issues unless they were seated directly next to each other.

Take a flashlight to the tank at night and you will see the sweepers on the favia.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checkout your favia at night. Some have longer sweeper tentacles than others. If you're sure to have other corals out of reach of these tentacles you wont have an issue with them in the same tank. I grow many just inches from each other in the same system as SPS, LPS, Zoas ect.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So Favia's should also be spaced out a few inches between each other too?
You have to remember these corals grow and spread.
So if you glue them down and they start growing eventually they will grow towards each other and then there will be a battle.
Usually it's the one you like best that loses the fight.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back