Are Mercury-Containing Lights Doomed to Extinction?

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of those German companies producing fluorescents:

If the EU fails to vote in favour of the more ambitious African proposal, this decision would be in the interest of protecting exports from two fluorescent lamp factories in Germany and Poland. A new report from CLASP shows that remaining fluorescent lamp manufacturing in Europe will lose 80% of their market by 2023; EU domestic market for fluorescents will be gone and major trade partners are also phasing-out fluorescents through separate regulations.

OP
OP
N

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't read most of this thread so apologies if I missed something.

So my real job is cleaning up hazardous waste spills, emergencies or almost emergencies.
Mercury is the absolute worst the smallest amount is considered highly toxic and it gets everywhere. When there is a spill this is what we do when we get called to a household spill. We grab a mercury vapor sensor and anything that comes up gets taken and destroyed, couches, beds, floors. If it can't be wiped off and gets into it, it's gone. This takes forever, is an absolute pain in the ____, and does not make us any friends. (Not even to mention the health issues)

Trust me mercury is not worth it!!
I've read that spilled mercury, even the small amount in an old thermometer, takes days or weeks to fully vaporize, allowing a longer period to inhale. I have to wonder how many people have inhaled the vapors from broken fluorescent bulbs alone.

OP
OP
N

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of those German companies producing fluorescents:

If the EU fails to vote in favour of the more ambitious African proposal, this decision would be in the interest of protecting exports from two fluorescent lamp factories in Germany and Poland. A new report from CLASP shows that remaining fluorescent lamp manufacturing in Europe will lose 80% of their market by 2023; EU domestic market for fluorescents will be gone and major trade partners are also phasing-out fluorescents through separate regulations.
Let's hope the smart people prevail.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read that spilled mercury, even the small amount in an old thermometer, takes days or weeks to fully vaporize, allowing a longer period to inhale. I have to wonder how many people have inhaled the vapors from broken fluorescent bulbs alone.
It's a nightmare. It seems to always involve children (who are by far the most affected by it) and is so hard to clean. I don't think I hear more complaining from my colleagues about anything.

OP
OP
N

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best way to grow corals is MH / Hybrid T5 (main source of light) and little bits of Leds.
I am glowing corals since 2007 - the best results for my corals was always MH + t5.
I've seen something online that called T-5s the gold standard, and a T-5 and LED combo the new "platinum" standard. There will always be someone who has a favorite that's different from yours. It's always a personal preference.

OP
OP
N

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a nightmare. It seems to always involve children (who are by far the most affected by it) and is so hard to clean. I don't think I hear more complaining from my colleagues about anything.
I just had a thought (it does happen once in a while). What happens if a mercury-containing bulb breaks or explodes over an aquarium? It's not too uncommon to break a hot halide and have pieces drop into the water.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had a thought (it does happen once in a while). What happens if a mercury-containing bulb breaks or explodes over an aquarium? It's not too uncommon to break a hot halide and have pieces drop into the water.
Sorry wouldn't know. I've never heard of it. I'm guessing most people try and deal with it themselves. Most of our mercury jobs involve kids playing with stuff they found in the attic or something. If I was put in that situation I'd probably transfer the fish and any living thing I could (if alive). Then start scrubbing and tossing. The filtration system would be toast though you may be able to keep the tank as that's quite scrubable. Though it would cost one heck of a lot so it may be best to scrap everything.

OP
OP
N

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For most people in the hobby that's not an acceptable solution. One or two milligrams. Maybe activated carbon? I always keep a few bags around.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For most people in the hobby that's not an acceptable solution. One or two milligrams. Maybe activated carbon? I always keep a few bags around.
I don't know the removal levels I just know they're pretty low. A few decades ago mercury was a fun toy, now we have to clean up after a tiny thermometer. Sometimes its best if the government don't know about a tiny little bit of mercury. Just keep it away from the kids.

Edit: I revise my answer. A tank is a closed system. If I was called in I'd clean the area around and go away.

Last edited:

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know the removal levels I just know they're pretty low. A few decades ago mercury was a fun toy, now we have to clean up after a tiny thermometer. Sometimes its best if the government don't know about a tiny little bit of mercury. Just keep it away from the kids.

Edit: I revise my answer. A tank is a closed system. If I was called in I'd clean the area around and go away.
A few decades ago DDT was not thought to cause any issues, go figure.

OP
OP
N

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I eliminated the possibility of mercury contamination by switching to LEDs. Mercury wasn't the reason for switching. It's just a side effect of switching.

Yanir34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I talked with 2 people that work at 2 different big companies that manufacturing T5 bulbs, for our hobby.
I ask them if there possibility that next year the production of T5 bulbs will be eliminated, and they both told me that they don't know such a thing.

OP
OP
N

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I talked with 2 people that work at 2 different big companies that manufacturing T5 bulbs, for our hobby.
I ask them if there possibility that next year the production of T5 bulbs will be eliminated, and they both told me that they don't know such a thing.
Are they from Germany, where they're made?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unrelated but I remember in the 60's when my parents took me to the dentist. The dentist would give us a ball of mercury to play with. We rolled it around in the palm of our hands. They even let us take some home in a small vial.
I think that their are so many alternatives to it that it is not needed in our hobby and only should be used for specilized medical devices.

OP
OP
N

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unrelated but I remember in the 60's when my parents took me to the dentist. The dentist would give us a ball of mercury to play with. We rolled it around in the palm of our hands. They even let us take some home in a small vial.
I think that their are so many alternatives to it that it is not needed in our hobby and only should be used for specilized medical devices.
There's only one mercury-free alternative for lighting.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so glad I wasn't the only one, we definitely smashed thermometers and would smash the mercury balls into smaller balls with our bare hands, people ask me if I was dropped as a baby, I say I dont remember ,but I did play with mercury .... :)

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all comes down to responsibility in properly recycling ANYTHING in life, including LEDs! This mercury talk is just one more way some find to diminish metal halides and T5s, to promote what is the so often called the "better option" LED "new technology". Tireless confirmation bias IMO. It's more political and market promotion than anything!
Are the governments worry about mercury in bulbs? Really?! Recycle stations should be the answer. Are you guys going to get some electric cars instead of the traditional gas? They forget that the electricity comes from electric plants. Ha!
Plastics are the greatest contributor to pollution in this world, specially in the ocean, killing a lot of wild life around the Globe! Plastic burns kill people!
LEDs are made out of plastic (non- biodegradable polycarbonate)!
Please stop with the politic and non-sense green talk guys.
Responsible reefing needs to follow the rules of recycle in many ways, not only lighting. Recycling halides, T5s AND LEDs is just one more way to be environmentally conscious.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back