Are MH lights going extinct?

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used MH for a long time tried LED for 4 years and decided to go back to MH. I've had the mh again for about a year and will now keep them indefinitely.

Also consider buying used I did and saved several hundred dollars over a new setup. I did buy new bulbs.

As far as buying new I think you will see less options because the lower end fixtures are not around anymore.

Recently I called and spoke to a rep at hamilton specifically to ask about their plans for the single ended 14k bulb (i didnt want to switch and have them stop production) and was told that they are seeing a surge in metal halide sales. Partly for people returning and partly there less manufacturers. I took from the talk that Hamilton has no plans to stop making mh products.

Dom274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, this all sounds like Stockholm Syndrome to me. :p I don't understand why anyone would be proud to be "Old School" - That doesn't imply your are experienced, it says that your are being intentionally ignorant. If I was out of the hobby for 3 years, I would be more disappointed if things didn't change. 3 years and nobody tried to improve their products? 3 years and no technological advancement? Anyway, maybe you should give some quality LEDs a shot is all I'm saying. MH are nice, I've used them before - But if you can get a similar result in addition to reducing heat and electricity - Is that MH "shimmer" really worth it?

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then I must be an old school, unexperienced, ignorant reefer because I love my halides. Judging by the growth and color of our corals, I'd say "extra heat" is worth it. Lol. It's ironic an led guy brings up heat and electricity...;) I'd say in after 3 years halides didn't need improving because they work.

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to blame LEDs for MH "extinction" you should blame T5.
Most people I know with successful SPS/Acro setup's use T5 only!
Nowadays MH people have to blame someone , so they choose the weakest link, the LEDs which are still in development.
To the OP, in 2014 the situation regarding MH was the same as today...most people who used MH moved to T5 only with great success.
Please stop blaming LEDs for MH fate.

T5s are nice but lifeless without MH. Give it a shot. You may enjoy the shimmer and the growth.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, this all sounds like Stockholm Syndrome to me. :p I don't understand why anyone would be proud to be "Old School" - That doesn't imply your are experienced, it says that your are being intentionally ignorant. If I was out of the hobby for 3 years, I would be more disappointed if things didn't change. 3 years and nobody tried to improve their products? 3 years and no technological advancement? Anyway, maybe you should give some quality LEDs a shot is all I'm saying. MH are nice, I've used them before - But if you can get a similar result in addition to reducing heat and electricity - Is that MH "shimmer" really worth it?

Simply because we like how acros grow and color under them .
There's no shame in using old and proven technology.
Atleast I don't have to worry about spectrum . Getting one equation solved helps me focus solely on water quality rather than trying to juggle with everything . Of coarse the natural look of the shimmer blows everything out .

Regards,
ABHISHEK

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simply because we like how acros grow and color under them .
There's no shame in using old and proven technology.
Atleast I don't have to worry about spectrum . Getting one equation solved helps me focus solely on water quality rather than trying to juggle with everything . Of coarse the natural look of the shimmer blows everything out .

Regards,
ABHISHEK

Well said...

Dom274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then I must be an old school, unexperienced, ignorant reefer because I love my halides. Judging by the growth and color of our corals, I'd say "extra heat" is worth it. Lol. It's ironic an led guy brings up heat and electricity...;) I'd say in after 3 years halides didn't need improving because they work.

I'm not an LED guy... I don't get a commission for selling LEDs, so it's no sweat off my back either way you go. I judge by the color and the growth of my corals as well - And after last year when I setup a small 10g with an LED as a temp frag tank, I can honestly say that once the corals adjusted to the new lighting I really couldn't see a difference between the 10g and my main tank. If I can get similar color and growth, why would I go with the option that costs more?

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it’s like the progression from vinyl records (metal halide) to CD’s (T5) to Mp3’s (led). Sometimes newer technology doesn’t always mean better technology.

When I listen to a vinyl record I feel like I’m sitting in the recording studio next to the musician. When I listen to an Mp3 I feel like the music is just life less.

I guess the difference is also that I’m listening to Eric Clapton and the new generation is listening to Camila Cabello Featuring Young Thug, ha!

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lol, this all sounds like Stockholm Syndrome to me. [emoji14] I don't understand why anyone would be proud to be "Old School" - That doesn't imply your are experienced, it says that your are being intentionally ignorant. If I was out of the hobby for 3 years, I would be more disappointed if things didn't change. 3 years and nobody tried to improve their products? 3 years and no technological advancement? Anyway, maybe you should give some quality LEDs a shot is all I'm saying. MH are nice, I've used them before - But if you can get a similar result in addition to reducing heat and electricity - Is that MH "shimmer" really worth it?
Why make advancements on a nearly perfect solution? LEDs have to constantly change because they are always chasing the gold standard that halides created. So far, they haven't caught up.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why make advancements on a nearly perfect solution? LEDs have to constantly change because they are always chasing the gold standard that halides created. So far, they haven't caught up.

Yeah .... maybe. I've been around this hobby long enough to recall when metal halide was 'constantly changing'. MH is now a mature, proven technology for reef aquaria, while LED is still evolving. Perhaps it will never match MH .... or maybe it will ultimately be better. I've posted my thoughts on LED ad-nauseum, so will not repeat them here other than to say I'm thrilled to see LED performance progress.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it’s like the progression from vinyl records (metal halide) to CD’s (T5) to Mp3’s (led). Sometimes newer technology doesn’t always mean better technology.

Interesting analogy (as somebody that has bought into just about every audio format). While vinyl isn't extinct (wasn't that the original question LOL), it's certainly become highly marginalized with far less selection. As LED lighting progresses, we may well see, have already seen, this happen with MH. Further, while LED may have been MP3, perhaps it has the potential to be lossless 24/96, while MH will only ever be vinyl.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Been there, done that and got the t shirt.

It's a fact that leds work, not arguing that. But why would I spend $700+ on a led fixture (I would need at least 3 of these to cover my 180) when I could buy bulbs with that money that could last me decades. Leds don't save you any in your electric bill and the upfront cost can have quite the sticker shock.

I ran radions over my 180 for a good while, and while I has good success with sps I always felt that the tank was missing something. I switched back to radiums just to see if there would be a difference and there was, a big one.

If that makes me old school then I guess I better ditch my apex and other tech I use and go back to wind up timers and dj switch boards lol.

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always hear people mention the cost of leds claiming that mh is way cheaper never mentioning that a good mh reflector like the cayman sun that I use is $150, the bulb another $90 and the ballast was another $250 when I bought it so $490 total and I spend another $90 every year replacing the bulb because of spectrum shift and have to walk my photo period back for two weeks after each bulb change. Both technologies work but at this moment in time neither is inherently better than the other. I believe that leds will soon be better as the technology develops something that mh went through years ago. Short of mh bulbs being good for the actual life of the bulb not just a year or so mh has gone just about as far as it can. I don’t think I’ll quit running mine anytime soon but they do have a more limited role in my setups than they did in the past. Now I run them for 4 hours middle of the day and leds take care of the rest. Works out really good and I get longer between bulb replacements.

10Seconds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am fairly new to the hobby, about 2 yrs total, so I got my start with LEDs. And yes, its all todays LFS sell. But then I came online and found the forums. And discovered MH and T5 lighting. I started with an ebay Odyssea fixture. Now MH is my primary lighting on both my tanks. I just bought a Giesemann Spectra 72" for my 220.

I think the internet sales have changed the way LFS sell as much as have changes in the hobby.

And lastly, its ok to be proud to be old school. It doesnt mean stuck in the past and unwilling to change. To me, its a respect of tradition, and also a reflection of experience. The old school guys who taught me about MH sure knew what they were talking about, and they were right!

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Realistically yes they are dying. I can't remember the exact numbers but Ryan at BRS said the sales of MH are tiny. Sure a few love them, but with how the aquatic life led t5 combo is taking off I suspect there will be more combo lights like this that really push mh away except in very deep and large tanks and who know if that will be enough to keep mh alive.

BigRedSpecial

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a believer that LED hasn't caught up to MH yet, but it's getting close. I definitely wouldn't pay to switch if I already had MH lights, but if buying for the first time I would (and did) go with kessils, for the compact form factor and because I'm genuinely concerned about how long bulbs will be available here in Canada.

I also bought a Tacoma because it's the only 4x4 truck still available with a manual, so I get it.

aabjones888

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use halides and always will! I also still love listening to old records too. I've went from halides to leds than back to halides. Like many have stated with leds, there was just something missing. I have always been able to grow my sticks faster with halides. I could grow my corals with leds fine, but the halides seems like they grow faster and just thrive.

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with a Spectra and will augment with two Kessils. As far as LEDs go I like Kessil but I'm moving corals from a 40 gallon Nano into a holding tank with a MH and the growth under MH is noticeable. I get some good growth under the Kessil but more LPS, than SPS. The cost factor is the number of LEDs you need to add to get the same results. SO I like both but for health of corals I think MH/T5 is the best option for me (and many others who have switched back).

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back