Are my clowns laying eggs? Is there any way to save the babies? How long does it take for them to hatch?

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had these clowns for a couple of years, and they have a little cobweb looking area on the overflow at the back of the tank. It appears that she is laying eggs on the side wall. And I can’t tell, but it looks like he is fertilizing them.
But it also almost looks like he is nibbling at the wall as well.
The mail has not come out of this corner for about a week. Maybe this would explain his behavior!

so, is this what they are doing? I believe it is, but I’m confused by the part that looks like they are biting at it.

if this is what they are doing - is there any way to save the eggs?? I’d really love to try. I have plenty of quarantine tanks - I can set one up. I just lost one of my favorite fish yesterday, so this would be a great new adventure and fun!

just need beginner instructions please!
9223E27E-7921-455B-BDA6-8D8554AF4A63.jpeg

Picasso Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah that’s 100% egg laying! Expect them to do this about every 2 weeks if you don’t change anything (feeding, perams, etc) you can save them by netting the fry when they hatch or by using some other means of collection. You’ll need to start a rotifer culture to feed the babies and a separate fry tank. There are many threads about this on the breeding forum. Chances are, you’re not prepared to take care of this particular clutch and they will become some super nutritious live food for your fish and corals.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah that’s 100% egg laying! Expect them to do this about every 2 weeks if you don’t change anything (feeding, perams, etc) you can save them by netting the fry when they hatch or by using some other means of collection. You’ll need to start a rotifer culture to feed the babies and a separate fry tank. There are many threads about this on the breeding forum. Chances are, you’re not prepared to take care of this particular clutch and they will become some super nutritious live food for your fish and corals.
That’s what I was kind of afraid of for this one, but it’s the first time I’ve ever seen them do this. So, really exciting that we will get to try again if it doesn’t work this time. I will absolutely research rotifer. Honestly, I don’t even know what that is!

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would lean a clam shell or another flat object in the same area after these eggs are gone. Hopefully next time they will lay eggs onto the new surface which you can remove to a grow out tank right before they hatch. Good luck

Picasso Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I was kind of afraid of for this one, but it’s the first time I’ve ever seen them do this. So, really exciting that we will get to try again if it doesn’t work this time. I will absolutely research rotifer. Honestly, I don’t even know what that is!
Rotifers are basically krill/plankton. They eat phytoplankton so you also have to have a culture of that or you can buy it constantly from somewhere. This link is very helpful :). https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/269202-pickle’s-guide-to-breeding-clowns/ Good Luck!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 7.1%
Back