Are my Zoas dying?

Eraserhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Zoas haven’t opened in two weeks. Are they dying?

C8328DFC-7AAE-41DB-979A-BDFEE9E4B5FA.jpeg

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are not opening, then they are not happy. Are there fewer polyps than before? Any swings in your water chemistry, as with most corals, zoas like a nice stable environment.

Did you dip them before putting them into the tank? (do you dip all the corals going in?)

Check for nudibranchs, or blemishes (zoa pox). Zoa eating nudis can be hard to spot, but could cause the zoas to keep closed. I would pull each frag up to the surface of the water and examine very closely. If you spot anything on them, use some fine tweezers to remove it. Also, use gloves and eye protection, if they are sick or damages, then palytoxin exposure is a risk.

Test your water, inspect the frags and post up your findings :)

OP
OP
E

Eraserhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are not opening, then they are not happy. Are there fewer polyps than before? Any swings in your water chemistry, as with most corals, zoas like a nice stable environment.

Did you dip them before putting them into the tank? (do you dip all the corals going in?)

Check for nudibranchs, or blemishes (zoa pox). Zoa eating nudis can be hard to spot, but could cause the zoas to keep closed. I would pull each frag up to the surface of the water and examine very closely. If you spot anything on them, use some fine tweezers to remove it. Also, use gloves and eye protection, if they are sick or damages, then palytoxin exposure is a risk.

Test your water, inspect the frags and post up your findings :)

Thank You for your reply.

My water parameters are all good except Phosphate is reading at 0.25 ppm. Everything else is within range.

I did not dip them when I got them and did notice some algae-like stuff floating in between the polyps. There aren't any fewer polyps than before. Should I try dipping them now?

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need more info on the tank. I know you say your parameters are in range but are they stable and can you post your numbers. There's something bothering them whether it's chemistry or pests. Make sure there getting decent indirect flow. What type of lighting are you running and how old is the tank?

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look to be on the top of the rock work. How is the light intensity where they are compared to what they were used to?

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You joined yesterday and looking at your rock work, it looks like a fairly new system.
I believe your tank is experiencing parameter swings and your zoas are falling victim...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back