Are saltwater diseases harder to treat than freshwater diseases?

homersimpsonlikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody know if saltwater diseases (such as Ich) are harder to treat than freshwater diseases? I'm thinking about migrating from keeping saltwater to just freshwater because of all the hassle of quarantining new fish in copper for 80 days.

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody know if saltwater diseases (such as Ich) are harder to treat than freshwater diseases? I'm thinking about migrating from keeping saltwater to just freshwater because of all the hassle of quarantining new fish in copper for 80 days.
you are keeping fish in copper for 80 days? ive used humble fishes article on 14 day copper treatment with great success so far. https://humble.fish/community/index.php?threads/explaining-the-14-days-in-copper-method.7603/ im not claiming this is THE way but ive used it on tangs wrasses and most recently my pair of lemon butterflys and they are all still kicking it disease free and all the butterflys i tried to qt for a full 30 didnt make it much longer than qt because copper is so harsh on some fish. i do the 14 days copper then into a new qt tank i keep a cycled sponge filter in and it works as far as i can tell!

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the disease - a lot of the nasty bacterial infections in fw fish like columnaris or a mycobacterium outbreak can be devastating, as well as oodinium (freshwater velvet). Quarantine is a good idea in freshwater as well, but isn’t done as much given that fish are on average much cheaper and are mostly captive bred (reducing the chances of diseases from the wild). If you are getting more exotic fish, quarantine becomes much more important than a couple tetras at petsmart (though not a bad idea to at least hold them in observation for a bit if you are putting them in an established tank. Certain diseases like ich are easier to treat as it just requires salt and heat - not an option in saltwater.
Copper only needs to be administered for 30 days, as well as two 9 day rounds of prazi (which can be done during copper).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back