Are these anygood?

Kaotic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if these lights are good or not.

Screenshot_20201029-192308_Amazon Shopping.jpg

OP
OP
K

Kaotic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If used correctly they can grow anything. Easy to misuse those though
Yeah im assuming you want to start of low with them and work your way up. I just ordered 2 of them. I didnt really see any bad reviews on them anywhere.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Vivarspectra is one of the Better chinese black box lights. Mars aqua being the other

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah im assuming you want to start of low with them and work your way up. I just ordered 2 of them. I didnt really see any bad reviews on them anywhere.

Yes start low, hang them very high (15” at least, or remove the optics if you’re hanging them lower), and a par meter will be your friend. It’s the people who hang them 4” off the water and make a total guess with intensity that struggle with these lights.

OP
OP
K

Kaotic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes start low, hang them very high (15” at least, or remove the optics if you’re hanging them lower), and a par meter will be your friend. It’s the people who hang them 4” off the water and make a total guess with intensity that struggle with these lights.
Do i need to remove my tops or can you run them with the tops. Anyway to run them with the glass tops if they are closer.Be nice to leave the tops on to help with evaporation. But if i must take them off i will.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do i need to remove my tops or can you run them with the tops. Anyway to run them with the glass tops if they are closer.Be nice to leave the tops on to help with evaporation. But if i must take them off i will.

It is safe to run them with glass tops, if that's what you're asking. You will lose some intensity, due to the glass and condensation/salt creep/moisture/algae that grows on the tops.

The closer you run them, the lights blend less and have more hot spots.

OP
OP
K

Kaotic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is safe to run them with glass tops, if that's what you're asking. You will lose some intensity, due to the glass and condensation/salt creep/moisture/algae that grows on the tops.

The closer you run them, the lights blend less and have more hot spots.
So should i keep the same distance or run them closer if i keep the tops on?
I pull my tops off weekly and clean them.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So should i keep the same distance or run them closer if i keep the tops on?

With or without glass tops, I would run as high off the tank as possible (within reason). As @Bpb said,

To account for the tops, you may have to turn up the intensity a bit...but you're probably just guessing without a PAR meter.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back