Are these apitasia?

TheSaltyNurse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never had apitasia in my tank except on a piece of new coral about 1.5 years ago that I ended up throwing out. Nothing new has been added in the last 1.5 years. I just put my new light on and was taking a better look and I’ve noticed what looks like apitasia covering the rocks. To the point it looks like white hairs or fur. Not sure what to do. They are so tiny, but EVERYWHERE.

Also fun surprise, my clownfish laid eggs. Something I have also never noticed in the 10 years I’ve had them. Of course they could have been laying eggs and I just didn’t see it. Last pic is hard to see but I can see the little eyes.

5F12F5F2-CCB3-4EB7-A509-8E624140213C.jpeg C43CC343-7056-4B91-855C-31EAFE8B38A0.jpeg F5A14EBE-54AD-4E95-AE76-EFC4F752EB1D.jpeg F648814E-AA90-4D37-9C98-D6115C3DF8FF.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pics under whites could help confirm,agree possible hydroids

OP
OP
TheSaltyNurse

TheSaltyNurse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydroids. Not really sure how to get rid of them other than manual removal - like chisel off the piece of rock they are on...
Do you think they will bother my clownfish ? I’m getting a new tank next month so hopefully I can just get that set up and get rid of this rock. I don’t plan on having any corals at the moment. I’ve had my clowns for 10 years so just wanna upgrade them to a larger tank.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you think they will bother my clownfish ? I’m getting a new tank next month so hopefully I can just get that set up and get rid of this rock. I don’t plan on having any corals at the moment. I’ve had my clowns for 10 years so just wanna upgrade them to a larger tank.
They wont bother the clowns.

You could pull the rock and scrub off the hydroid sections with a tooth brush and peroxide, it will cook the life right out of them.

Basically, get a container about 1 ounce of peroxide, take tooth brush. Dip tooth brush in the container to cover all bristles in peroxide. Scrub sections of hydriods with peroxide tooth brush.

Very easy to do since these hydriods are not protected by tubes.

Otherwise, a coral beauty angelfish will go to town on them.

OP
OP
TheSaltyNurse

TheSaltyNurse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They wont bother the clowns.

You could pull the rock and scrub off the hydroid sections with a tooth brush and peroxide, it will cook the life right out of them.

Basically, get a container about 1 ounce of peroxide, take tooth brush. Dip tooth brush in the container to cover all bristles in peroxide. Scrub sections of hydriods with peroxide tooth brush.

Very easy to do since these hydriods are not protected by tubes.

Otherwise, a coral beauty angelfish will go to town on them.
Thank you for the advice!

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 31 34.8%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 50 56.2%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back