Asterina Starfish...SO Annoying

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An engineer goby? Might look into that...Most of my Zoas are virtually closed up or gone from these critters
You could also consider a corris wrasse or harlequin shrimp. The shrimp will starve after he eats all these dudes though. Some fish stores will let you rent their shrimp for a bit to kill them out. Also keep in mind engineer gobies can get big. Mines huge but he’s not aggressive at all.

OP
OP
jphilip813

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Xmas Eve to all...I just wanted to folllow up that the Shrimp did as listed by all of you...Thank You all...now I am lookn for a small chocolate for him to eat...I only see one or two asteria star fish at a time instead of the numerous I would pluck off the glass day and night....

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Xmas Eve to all...I just wanted to folllow up that the Shrimp did as listed by all of you...Thank You all...now I am lookn for a small chocolate for him to eat...I only see one or two asteria star fish at a time instead of the numerous I would pluck off the glass day and night....
I would honestly trade the little dude back to a fish store or see if someone wants him. Hell only eat the legs off the star and once he does that he’ll leave the flesh to rot. Plus I hate killing starfish for those guys even if they are super neat.

knightnsd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DO NOT LEAVE THAT CHOCOLATE STAR in the tank... they eat corals so if you get one place them in the sump

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Photos of the new Landlord, hoping he will evict the nonpaying tenant....
They do work. Wiped out approx 100 in a little over a month for me. They flip the stars over and go to work

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
DO NOT LEAVE THAT CHOCOLATE STAR in the tank... they eat corals so if you get one place them in the sump
Likely some asterinas have made their way to the sump. Best is to move shrimp to sump. If no asterina, then get a chocoalte star and place too in sunp. Will make it easier on harlequin to find and feed

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just sucked out at least 50 of these stars. Looked in my tank with the lights off over the past week and realized they were all over my zoas. I do weekly water changes so I’m just gonna remove them manually. Does the yellow corridor Wrasse eat the starfish? My sixpine just committed suicide today so I’m looking to find one that’s going to do eat worms and these stars and be a worker in the tank..

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW my harlequin always ate all of the chocolate star or at least enough so that I never noticed any leftover and it never let the star leave its grasp once it had it flipped over. I’ve only ever had 1 pair tho.

OP
OP
jphilip813

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likely some asterinas have made their way to the sump. Best is to move shrimp to sump. If no asterina, then get a chocoalte star and place too in sunp. Will make it easier on harlequin to find and feed
Funny you say that..I found two in the sump and yank them out by hand there

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had 'some' for about 6 months now, but not overrun with them...yet. I harvest the ones I see by hand every few days. Haven't noticed any coral or rock stripping by them yet, my urchins however do a fine job of that at times lol.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back