ATI - ICP results, chasing numbers, and lack of sleep

JoeBart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm failing at wrapping my head around a few of these numbers (I'm blaming lack of sleep) and could use some guidance.
• I'm concerned about the iron levels and will look through my gear, etc. for a possible source. How big of a concern are these numbers?
Zinc is present in my RODI water - 4 stage + extra DI stage and seems excessive in the system.
Is there a way to reduce iron and Zinc through chemical/mechanical filtration - I run auto water change at a gallon per day.
• My Hanna HI736 measures the 0.32 mg/l Phosphate almost spot on. What is the 104.1 µg/l of Phosphorus telling me?

Overall - LPS/Soft Corals are doing well. SPS are hit or miss for me and I'm working on dialing in flow/lighting. I can NOT grow chaeto in my fuge to save my life. Algae as a whole is not a problem (other than a small patch of Bryopsis I fight with regularly... we're at a stalemate).

other notes: I stopped dosing ChaetoGrō about 7 days before sending in this test.

160 gallon system = DT + Frag + shared sump | running just under 2 years | TMP Salt | ESV B-Ionic 2 part |
Iron67.29 µg/l0.51 µg/l+66.78 µg/l
high.png
View
Zinc72.17 µg/l2.02 µg/l+70.14 µg/l
high.png
View
Nutrients
Nitrate23.43 mg/l2.00 mg/l+21.43 mg/l
high_med.png
View
Phosphorus104.1 µg/l15.17 µg/l+88.90 µg/l
high.png
View
Phosphate0.32 mg/l0.05 mg/l+0.27 mg/l
high.png
View
Ro/Di Water
Zinc9.17 µg/l0 µg/l+9.17 µg/l
high.png

I appreciate you all looking at this and sharing your knowledge. I went down the rabbit hole of trying to find the answers and was overwhelmed by the volume of information available.
Thanks,
-jb

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The iron is no concern. Some folks intentionally push it higher than you have.

The zinc might be a concern. Any metal parts in the water? I would not be convinced the zinc in the ro/di is the source, but check there for metal parts too. Hose clamps, screws, etc,

OP
OP
J

JoeBart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The iron is no concern. Some folks intentionally push it higher than you have.

The zinc might be a concern. Any metal parts in the water? I would not be convinced the zinc in the ro/di is the source, but check there for metal parts too. Hose clamps, screws, etc,
Thank you, Randy! Any wisdom to share about the Phosphate .vs Phosphorus numbers? Should I be concerned about how high the Phosphorus appears in the result? I'm not sure I fully understand the distinction.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm failing at wrapping my head around a few of these numbers (I'm blaming lack of sleep) and could use some guidance.
• I'm concerned about the iron levels and will look through my gear, etc. for a possible source. How big of a concern are these numbers?
Zinc is present in my RODI water - 4 stage + extra DI stage and seems excessive in the system.
Is there a way to reduce iron and Zinc through chemical/mechanical filtration - I run auto water change at a gallon per day.
• My Hanna HI736 measures the 0.32 mg/l Phosphate almost spot on. What is the 104.1 µg/l of Phosphorus telling me?

Overall - LPS/Soft Corals are doing well. SPS are hit or miss for me and I'm working on dialing in flow/lighting. I can NOT grow chaeto in my fuge to save my life. Algae as a whole is not a problem (other than a small patch of Bryopsis I fight with regularly... we're at a stalemate).

other notes: I stopped dosing ChaetoGrō about 7 days before sending in this test.

160 gallon system = DT + Frag + shared sump | running just under 2 years | TMP Salt | ESV B-Ionic 2 part |
Iron67.29 µg/l0.51 µg/l+66.78 µg/l
high.png
View
Zinc72.17 µg/l2.02 µg/l+70.14 µg/l
high.png
View
Nutrients
Nitrate23.43 mg/l2.00 mg/l+21.43 mg/l
high_med.png
View
Phosphorus104.1 µg/l15.17 µg/l+88.90 µg/l
high.png
View
Phosphate0.32 mg/l0.05 mg/l+0.27 mg/l
high.png
View
Ro/Di Water
Zinc9.17 µg/l0 µg/l+9.17 µg/l
high.png

I appreciate you all looking at this and sharing your knowledge. I went down the rabbit hole of trying to find the answers and was overwhelmed by the volume of information available.
Thanks,
-jb
I was thinking phosphate is a bit on the higher side @ .32mg/l which may fuel some pest stuff in newer or low load tanks.

Maybe 0.05 to .1 mg/l would be a better target, unless your more than a year and run a high coral load and/or fuge.

OP
OP
J

JoeBart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, Randy! Any wisdom to share about the Phosphate .vs Phosphorus numbers? Should I be concerned about how high the Phosphorus appears in the result? I'm not sure I fully understand the distinction.

I was thinking phosphate is a bit on the higher side @ .32mg/l which may fuel some pest stuff in newer or low load tanks.

Maybe 0.05 to .1 mg/l would be a better target, unless your more than a year and run a high coral load and/or fuge.
Yes sir, This system is just shy of the 2-year mark, has a fuge, and a fairly large bio load.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The phosphorus and phosphate numbers are just mathematical conversions from one another, I think, and are a tad high but not a big issue.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back