ATI ICP test results back suggestions. (Zoas melting)

NL.Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone

last week i send a icp test to ati becouse over the last few weeks my zoas where melting and i wanted to see where my iodione was.

here are the results.

2 weeks ago i took 4 kolonies from the reef and dip them but nothing came off, also i checked for nudibranches and zoa eating spiders at night when lights where off but i didnt see any of them.

I did hear that becouse off the metals (aluminium, zinc and iron in the water that there could be something rusting… What do you guys think? Could this be reason the zoas are melting becouse they can take both hard/soft flow and light. And also they first where growing and where in my tank for over 3-6 months.

My nitrates came from 90 and the zoanthids where always growing, i try to bring them down not to fast but its going in the good direction. Tank is 11 months old now and i dont know if pictures help but i can post them. At least 10 different zoas melting or already gone. 150gallon tank and i have 4x Ai hydra 32 lights

would really appreciete all help!

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your ICP test seem to be mostly fine. Cannot comment on Zinc, not sure if this level can harm corals.
Obviously your Nitrates and phosphates seem high as for reef tank. Zoas can tolerate higher nitrates than stony corals (especially SPS), but 40ppm might be too high. I would aim for something between 10-20. I wouldn't necessarily lower phosphates to 0.04 as ICP suggest, but I would go below 0.12.
Your dKH and Ca seem fine, how about pH?
Some pics would obviously help.

OP
OP
NL.Reefer

NL.Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reaction, ph is 8,15 during day but at night 7,9. I Did put a carbo ex air filter from ati on my skimmer recently.

i try to take no3 down to 15 and po4 to 0,1 but dont wanne do it in a rush becouse all corallived in high nitrates for months.

here a video a made i also lost more zoas that are not in the video

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From your video I can see that flow seem to be fine and corals are still surviving.
Nitrates and phosphates are not like Alkalinity and you can reduce them faster. I would do weekly 30% water change and institute other methods of lowering them and meanwhile test Nitrates/Phosphates, so they do not drop too low.
Below link to Reef of the month with Zoas

Good luck and tot siens

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iron is high, it is usually undetectable in our systems according to the reef moonshiners method.

Salinity is low so values will be off a little if you were to bring it up to 35ppt, but its so close I wouldn't worry about that but always something to think about if it were to go way under or over.

Overall good looking test

Check you zoas at night make sure no amphipods or something isn't bothering them.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back