ATI Sunpower + LED supplements?

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60" ATI Sunpower (8X80w) fixture - and I really love the fixture. However, I am missing that LED shimmer and pop. I know that the Reefbrite LED supplements are nice, as they are similar in look to the fixture and they just bolt on. That said, Im curious as to which one people are using. There are several different types of these fixtures, and since Im not looking for more PAR - I assume that I want to avoid the white or 50/50s. That leaves the BLUE or the UVA - which one are people using for supplementation? And - do you install the reefbrites on the front of the ATI fixture or on the back? Is there another set of LED strips that anyone recommends?

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of them will add pretty good amount of PAR (especially the XHO), not just the 50/50 strips. For your scenario you want the blue.

nrupaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
An XHO has pretty high PAR. you can check out the TECH version that has half the LEDs than that of the XHO. However with your ATIs you'll pretty much washout any pop or shimmer from the TECH version. XHO version, on the other hand would still hold its own with the ATI bulbs on. most folks attach the ReefBrite to the front of their ATIs

it all comes down to your application and how you want to use the LED

RapidLed is the only other company i know of that makes LEDs strips. http://www.rapidled.com/24-solderless-led-dimmable-actinic-supplement-kit/

They have a solder-less, dimmable kit too. pretty affordable. also you can pick and choose the LEDs you want in the kit. the ones they have are the same ones used by Aqua Illumination and Ecotech.

But i am finding that Rapidleds have no easy way of attaching to the Sunpower. you gonna have to make/design your own brackets.

maidia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got the MH+T5, I want more blue look so I built the strip myself with all Blue 3w Cree Leds with control timer (sunset/sunraise). Look very good but sorry I took down and go for Radion now.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
2016-08-14 19.50.35.png
I have a 60" ATI Sunpower (8X80w) fixture - and I really love the fixture. However, I am missing that LED shimmer and pop. I know that the Reefbrite LED supplements are nice, as they are similar in look to the fixture and they just bolt on. That said, Im curious as to which one people are using. There are several different types of these fixtures, and since Im not looking for more PAR - I assume that I want to avoid the white or 50/50s. That leaves the BLUE or the UVA - which one are people using for supplementation? And - do you install the reefbrites on the front of the ATI fixture or on the back? Is there another set of LED strips that anyone recommends?
I took par readings from my powermodule with a vho and my dimmable sunpower with a tech. The vho pushes over double the par output. Tech checkedout from 180 to 220 at 14 inches away from strip, vho was over 400. Always always always get the actinic blue strip, its unbelievable and imo the best supplement led. The vho is just a tad bit brighter to the eye.
The tech is just a supplement for viewing really, i let my t5 bulbs do the work. But the vho gives the corals the extra mile for growth.

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2016-08-14 19.50.35.png

I took par readings from my powermodule with a vho and my dimmable sunpower with a tech. The vho pushes over double the par output. Tech checkedout from 180 to 220 at 14 inches away from strip, vho was over 400. Always always always get the actinic blue strip, its unbelievable and imo the best supplement led. The vho is just a tad bit brighter to the eye.
The tech is just a supplement for viewing really, i let my t5 bulbs do the work. But the vho gives the corals the extra mile for growth.

With the Tech fixture, do you still see the effect from adding the LED, or is it washed out by the T5 bulbs, as was stated above? Ideally, I'd like the shimmer of the LED fixture and to use them to transition to "night time" giving that uber blue fluorescence before the tank goes dark for the night. As my fixture is 60" and so is the tank, if I flood the tank with light, I wont be able (without some masterful manipulation of the aquascape keep much in the way of lower light corals - not too many things like 400+ PAR on the sandbed! :D

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
With the Tech fixture, do you still see the effect from adding the LED, or is it washed out by the T5 bulbs, as was stated above? Ideally, I'd like the shimmer of the LED fixture and to use them to transition to "night time" giving that uber blue fluorescence before the tank goes dark for the night. As my fixture is 60" and so is the tank, if I flood the tank with light, I wont be able (without some masterful manipulation of the aquascape keep much in the way of lower light corals - not too many things like 400+ PAR on the sandbed! :D
If over 6 bulbs are running at100% then unfortunantly no =/. Only times throught the day i see the reefbrite, is for an hour in the morning and an hour at night. I can see the uber blue shimmer when the 2 bulbs go on also but anymore bulbs you can barely see it. I get about 330 spread in all exposed spots on my sandbed with the fixture 34 inches from it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh well - still great information! Thanks to everyone thats chimed in. I think Ill keep my eyes open one but it'll be on the "nice to have, but not necessary" list :)

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have installed dozens of blue RBs for supplements; they're my go-to!

Here's my take:
  • Tech's will grow coral on their own, obviously XHO's will too.
  • Tech's used as supplements on tanks ~20" and shallower.
  • XHO's used as supplements on tanks ~24" and deeper.
  • We have had clients bleach coral with XHO's in shallow tanks (<24"). Do not recommend using XHO's on shallow tanks as supplements unless you're growing SPS on the substrate.
  • Mounting on front of fixture is most common, but we generally install one on front and one on back. Sometimes right down the center ;)

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have installed dozens of blue RBs for supplements; they're my go-to!

Here's my take:
  • Tech's will grow coral on their own, obviously XHO's will too.
  • Tech's used as supplements on tanks ~20" and shallower.
  • XHO's used as supplements on tanks ~24" and deeper.
  • We have had clients bleach coral with XHO's in shallow tanks (<24"). Do not recommend using XHO's on shallow tanks as supplements unless you're growing SPS on the substrate.
  • Mounting on front of fixture is most common, but we generally install one on front and one on back. Sometimes right down the center ;)

LOL - figures. My tank is 22" deep :rolleyes:

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 110 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 85 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 41 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 13 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.6%
Back