View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Annual February Frag meeting! - Atlanta Reef Club Forums

The ARC proudly presents the
2011 Annual February Frag Meeting!

coral_fragging.jpg

This is the club's biggest event of the year, and the one everyone wants to make. If you've been meaning to come to a meeting for the first time, or just haven't made it in a while, this is the one to make it to!

This will be a "mini-event", with world-class speakers, demonstrations, big raffles, and lots of frag giveaways.

We are hosting both a main event speaker and a coral fragging demonstrator.

Speaker:

Our keynote speaker is Sanjay Joshi.
clap3.gif
Sanjay is known in the reefing world as our resident lighting expert. He is a professor of Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering at Penn State University, but has contributed an encyclopedia of information through research into lighting. Have a look at his data generated through experimentation with lights and ballasts here. Have a look at Sanjay's publications here.

If you have questions about lighting, want to hear the latest information about halides, LED's, T5's and everything lighting related in reef tanks, this is the talk to hear.

sanjay.jpg

Fragging demonstrations:

Fragging demonstrations will be made by Dustin Combs.
thumbup.gif

dustin_combs.jpg

Dustin, as most of us are, is a self proclaimed coral “fraggin†fanatic. His background consists of online retail for many years (zoanuts.com, aquaticauction.com, etc.) and currently owns and operates a successful coral, fish and invert wholesale facility located in Dallas TX. His background also consists of over 10 years in the restaurant industry serving up many delectable seafood specialties. His passion for home reef investments/hobby has taking him from the poor house to living his dream of actively working in the industry at a level most of us dream to be. “I get to play in water and get paid for it.†He has been a “reefer†for over 15 years and has probably done the same things with his tanks as all of us have. He has collected corals from around the world and has fragmented most of them with some success and many failures.

His view on the fragmentation of corals is a bit different than most you have heard, or read about but when it comes down to it, he accomplishes the same goal or goals as authors, speakers and whoever takes the time to talk; he just delivers it with his spin.

His visit to ARC will not only be entertaining but will also bring a new light to the culturing of the worlds rare and endangered corals

Fragging:

images

We want to do something a little bit beyond the norm this year. So... we're bringing in things you probably haven't seen fragged before. We'll have the usual SPS, LPS, and zooanthids, but we want to show some new stuff- anemones, Elegance-type corals, and other corals that not many people have seen fragged before. We'll have cameras and projectors, so that everyone can watch what's going on.

Free frags:

Because the venue, speaker travel expenses, corals, etc, are paid by club funds, ARC Members get priority on the frags - especially the LE frags (the really nice stuff). Every member is guaranteed to receive at least one frag, and typically people go home with multiples. Non club members will also receive a frag, assuming we have enough.

Just show up!

No pre-registration is required. Just show up. You may sign up for ARC Membership at the meeting, but ARC membership is not required to attend.

Details:

Note: The date is not the normal day for an ARC meeting. Because of the size of the event, we're moving to Saturday afternoon.

Date: Saturday, February 12th
Time: Noon-4pm

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This looks like a lot of fun!

OP
OP
smoothie

smoothie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope some people take advantage of this learning event.
Inland frag saw is just one raffle

fsn77

Dad of 2 future hobbyists
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this on our local club site over in Columbia, SC... I've heard of a few locals planning to make the trip to attend.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back