Atypical Aipatasia Eaters

astrobuckeye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had one large aiptasia that grew out of a rock crevasse that I treated with F Aiptasia. Now from time to time I see really small polyps pop up on the glass or rock from time to time but they are gone by the next day.

I got a CUC diverse pack from reefcleaners so I have a broad contingent of snails, some hermits, and an emerald crab. Do any of these eat aiptasia?

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll add, a lot of members here don't really like that F Aptasia and others like it. There is a chance to spread the aptasia, which is what I think you may be seeing. If they are of any decent size, you can try to poke them with a needle and syringe and inject them with lemon juice or white vinegar, this has worked for me.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any fish in the tank that might be eating these?

OP
OP
A

astrobuckeye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any fish in the tank that might be eating these?
No fish yet. Started tank with a fish less cycle. Added CUC to deal with nuisance algae. Have some clowns in QT. I've been seeing little tiny apitasias go missing from glass and rocks for over a month. But at the moment there is nothing visible. Don't want to spend money on berghias without a decent sized population to sustain them for a full eradication.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No fish yet. Started tank with a fish less cycle. Added CUC to deal with nuisance algae. Have some clowns in QT. I've been seeing little tiny apitasias go missing from glass and rocks for over a month. But at the moment there is nothing visible. Don't want to spend money on berghias without a decent sized population to sustain them for a full eradication.
Aiptasia can move around, they are after all, they are an anemone.

I personally don't like peppermint shrimp or fish for control. They are always hit or miss and also hit or miss eating coral.
Berghia I don't recommend unless you have a full out infestation of aiptasia. Reason is they need to find the next meal, if you don't have a lot, they might not find one to eat and die. You will have a much better chance if you have a lot of aiptasia to find.

I think your best method here is manual control. With no coral you can remove rock that you see an aiptasia with and use lemon juice or Kalk paste.
Did you know you can make Kalk paste with lemon juice?
Only do a few aiptasia a day. Pick one rock, look for them while the rock is still in the water. Take note, zap them over the kitchen sink. It's a PITA, but in the long run, worth it.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 59 73.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back