Auburn University Red Sea Anemonefish Aquaculture

Anemfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

My name is Joe Szczebak and I am a graduate student at Auburn University. I do ecophysiology research on anemonefish and their host anemones. particularly, I am interested in: (a) the physiological benefits afforded to anemonefish via their residence in giant sea anemones, and (b) the ecological factors that control those benefits.

I work on 7 breeding pairs of two-band anemonefish (Amphiprion bicinctus), as well as their anemone hosts in the Red Sea (bubble-tip anemone and leathery anemone). As a side project, I have been harvesting their eggs and raising the fry. The process has sparked my interest in aquaculture and aquarium trade.

The lab I am a member of is involved in non-profit governmental research and aquaculture. My advisor (Nanette Chadwick) and myself are willing to give tours of our facility, and tech support for the questions of anyone culturing coral reef anemones, shrimps, or fish at home.

I have several questions:
(1) Does anyone have a favorite anemone breeder that raises Heteractis crispa?
(2) Has anyone noticed the dark coloration of most captive-raised two-band anemonefish compared to the lighter and more yellow wild ones?

Joe

Last edited:

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Joe,

I wish I could help on the Heteractis crispa prop's. I could help with E. quadricolor... When you ask about two band clown coloration, which species 'group' are you talking about? Someone who may be able to answer some general questions on observations of captive raised clowns over time is Sustainable Aquatics.

I'd love to take you up on the offer of a tour of the lab some time. I'm hunting some gastropods and other critters for a few other grad students at Auburn, and would love to come by some time.

jason.tammy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed that after a while the red sea clowns do get darker and darker.I was not ever sure why.What I have read these clowns are very reluctant to breed in capt.We have a mixed pair breeding(orange occl.&blk and white Occl.)So ant theries on why these guys darken in capt.?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 16.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 52 44.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 39 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back